Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update says updates failed. Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that runs Windows Vista SP1. Last Monday it had shut down and the only thing I could do was to reformat and install Vista. I checked in BIOS and the hard drive was recognized. There are 3 gigs of RAM recognized. After installing, I was able to install all the drivers and all looks well in the Device Manager. I put Microsoft Security Essentials on and updated the virus definitions. I thought the next thing I should do is to install Windows Updates. That is where my problem started. When I first checked it showed 9 updates that needed to be installed. As I've done installation before I knew that wouldn't be all but after the installation I checked and all were installed and showed as successful in the Windows Update History. After that I checked again and it showed 111 updates. I went ahead and started the installation of the 111. All were installed and after restarting and having windows complete all three steps of installation I checked and the Windows Update History shows that the files have failed. I don't think that is possible as I saw successful insulation.

I am going to assume that they were installed. Is there a way I can erase the Windows Update HIstory so I won't see the failed installations? I know I've done that once before but it has been a long time and I just don't remember.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Open Notepad and copy and paste the contents of the code box into the notepad Call it Updatefix.bat Save it to your desktop and double click it. Important>>>>>>>>For Vista or Win7 Users Right Click the Update.bat File and Run as Admin.

@echo off

echo

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

net stop wuauserv

cd c:\windows\system32

ren catroot2 catroot2.old

cd c:\windows

ren softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 21 June 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

I did as you suggested and copied to notepad the bat file that you listed. When I tried to right click to run as an administrator, I never got the option to run. If I opened the file it just brought me back to the bat code you listed for me. If I've done something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks!

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

You may have saved the file as a text file. If so try this.
  • Highlight the text in the code box and paste it into Notepad
  • From the top Menu, click File, then Save as and make sure Save as Type is All Files (*.*)
  • In File Name enter Update.bat
  • Run Update.bat

Regards,
Brooks

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Download the file below unzip it and run as admin reboot.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 23 June 2012 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users