Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hosts file problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dewalt

dewalt

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Staff:

I have been trying to block spammers using the MS junk e-mail filter options with maybe some success, but there are websites the filters will not block as well as pop-ups that cannot seem to be stopped. One is from doubleclick.net, but that is only one. Have tried searches and found a different method that apparently is suppose to somehow bounce the e-mail or ad back to itself using the 127.0.0.1 IP address (don't know if I am using all of the terms correctly).

So far have found that the hosts file is responsible for matching "files" or text against IP addresses at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and the "hosts" file is there. Had been suggested to rename the "hosts" file to "hosts.txt" so additional files or websites could be added. At first only had 127.0.0.1 local host or something like that. One time was able to add 2 or 3 websites and apparently saved because next time I checked they were there. Now I get the message that "access is denied" when I attempt to add additional websites.

Background: Win 7 Pro, sp1 OS. Have previously had an infection that was a mess, but "BleepingComputer" help me get out of that or as much as I can see. Am the only user and think I am set as administrator, but that doesn't seem to help. Have tried to copy "hosts", rename it, make a copy and add websites to the copy and paste that file, didn't work, then tried to save the copied file and then paste it over the original, that also didn't work and so long and short is that I cannot save any additions or changes now, "access is denied" Tried again going to properties to uncheck "read-only" because that had been set; still did not help.

So, if the technique to use 127.0.0.1 to return the e-mail or website against itself works, then I don't know how to get the new entries into the "hosts" file. Any help, suggestions, things to try would be very much appreciated.

dewalt

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Well first you should not rename the hosts file to hosts.txt it may break applications that require it.

You navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and right click on the hosts file and select properties remove the read-only check mark then apply.

double click the hosts file, and then open with notepad.

then edit.

save the edit, and mark the file as read-only again.

What is the issue with spammer? How are you getting the same, because this method will not prevent spammers. This will only block websites by creating a DNS Blackhole. You will still receive spam email and such.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668866 <= This Microsoft FixIt is designed to reset your Hosts File back to default.

If you have altered / played with it, then just follow any instructions at the above link.

As cryptodan has added, it will not prevent Spam Emails, as that is the job of either your Internet Provider or your email account supplier -

doubleclick.net is on many sites and can be simply removed (not blocked) with SUPERAntiSpyware or Spybot Search & Destroy free programs

Thank You -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

SpywareBlaster will add doubleclick.net (and thousands more) to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone".

If you are not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 dewalt

dewalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

to cryptodan, noknojon and quietman7

Thanks all. I will try to go through all and reset things as suggested then not sure what next. So, do I guess that we have to live with the occasional pop-ups that showup or is there something else I can be doing? Having said that, my field is chemical engineering and business analysis and extensively use computer apps to help me in that, do not spend much time in trying to defend myself other than making sure my protection and Windows are as up-to-date as I can get to.

Will look at what you guys have suggested, but do we have to live with these pop-ups that seem to sneak in under other protections? I'm sure I never will be as smart as, or know what you guys know in this area.

dewalt

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

do we have to live with these pop-ups that seem to sneak in under other protections

Follow the idea from quietman7, and add SpywareBlaster as that is a very good one.
Most of the cookies / minor items are picked up from site advertising, and not from the actual site themselves.

Clean Surfing - :wink:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

The modern browsers come with popup blockers that can be configured to block sites that have popups. However, this could limit the functionality of such sites.

#8 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

doubleclick.net is on many sites and can be simply removed (not blocked) with SUPERAntiSpyware or Spybot Search & Destroy free programs

If you BLOCK 3RD PARTY COOKIES you successfully block doubleclick and any other 3rd party cookies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users