Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silverlight-We have a problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Background-approximately 3 months ago when using IE several sites I go to on a regular basis started telling me my IE7 browser was outdated and to install a newer version. Windows 7 came with IE8 installed and I upgraded that to IE9. IE7 HAS NEVER BEEN ON MY THIS COMPUTER.

No matter what I did these sites kept telling me I was using IE7. My user agent string indicates the browser was IE9.

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

I played around with compatability view. Whether it was enabled or not made no difference.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I reinstalled Win7, upgraded from IE8 to IE9 and the problem disappeared.

Fast forward to this morning. I wanted to watch a movie made available to me from my ISP.

I found the movie I wanted to watch. I clicked to play it.

Received "You need Silverlight". Well, yes I do because 2 weeks ago I reinstalled Windows 7 and until today have not needed Silverlight.
I installed Silverlight.

Closed browser, opened it back up, clicked to play the movie and was informed I needed a Silverlight plugin. I chose to install the plugin.

Once again closed my browser, opened it, found the movie, clicked play. Now I am presented with this:

Posted Image

This is my browser info

Posted Image

As a test I went to 2 sites that had previously told me IE7 was out of date.
Yep, once again I'm being told it's out of date.

I uninstalled Silverlight. The plug in is not listed so I assume that is gone. The problem remained.

I did a thorough search for any Silverlight left-overs and deleted those. When that did not help, I went to the registry, found every entry related to Silverlight and deleted those. (a little over 1,000 of them). Still no joy. (No comments about deleting from the registry. I would not have done it if had not known what I was doing)

Anybody got any ideas to resolve this issue? I'd rather not have to do another reinstall then be nagged by Windows update to install Silverlight, which would probably cause the issue to come back.

The first time this happened I can't recall if I installed Silverlight around the time it began or if it had been installed all along and for some reason decided to go wacky.

edit to add: also NO comments to use another browser. I am aware that I can do that and in fact I do and have no problems with any of the sites when I use SeaMonkey. At this point I want to know what is going on to cause the browser version conflict.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2012 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Q-E
>"Approximately 2 weeks ago I reinstalled Win7, upgraded from IE8 to IE9 and the problem disappeared."<
Unless this computer is an Upgrade Pack install (like from XP to Win7) I cannot see how IE7 ever got on your system, as IE8 is your minimum browser.
EDIT - Do you use a VM box type setup, or run in Dual Mode, or run Win7 in XP Mode, as these will install IE7 on your system also -

Re: Silverlight -
This is odd for me to give any advice to you, but since I had a similar problem recently I contacted M/soft and went through these steps -

Quote is from the repair solution by Kunal Kukreja from M/soft customer service, still in my emails.

To give you a little background, Silverlight is a free plug-in powered by the .NET framework that is compatible across multiple browsers, devices and operating systems to bring a new level of interactivity wherever the Web works. If you encounter issues getting the updates for Silverlight to be installed or some features unexpectedly stopped working, a good clean install of the plug-in is required. There could be an older version of Silverlight installed on the computer. Kindly refer to the steps below.

Step 1: Uninstall the current version of Silverlight

1. Run the following automated 'Fix-It' application to remove Silverlight completely:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/C/9/6C970550-32AB-4235-9CDD-7FC9DD848BBB/silverlight.diagcab

2. Restart the computer

Step 2: Download and install the latest version of Silverlight

1. Click on this link: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx
2. It will tell you whether or not you have Silverlight installed in the computer
3. You should get a prompt to install the latest version if you do not have it installed.

From here I checked for M/soft updates to Silverlight (there was one) and installed that also - IE8 was also currently installed -
There has been no problem since then.

Thank You -
Extra - I am sure better brains will follow and offer better advice for you

Edited by noknojon, 21 June 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

EDIT - Do you use a VM box type setup, or run in Dual Mode, or run Win7 in XP Mode, as these will install IE7 on your system also -

No to all of them. I did install a virtual machine with XP prior to the reinstall of Win7 but the issue began long before I did that. And I did not keep the VM on for very long.

No VM has been installed since the reload of Win7.

Unless this computer is an Upgrade Pack install (like from XP to Win7) I cannot see how IE7 ever got on your system, as IE8 is your minimum browser.

Win7 is not an upgrade pack. My computer is a custom build and I got the Win7 disk when I got the system.

I will try your suggestions later this evening whn I have more time to deal with it.

The Queen does sometimes have issues she needs help with.

I ran the Fix It application.

It wanted to install Silverlight or Skip. I skipped, it went through resolving and detecting other problems then told me it isn't installed.

The page you linked to told me I could download Silverlight.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I reinstalled Silverlight and the plug in required.

For now the video works. I don't know if it was Silverlight or compatibility view which I played with some more.

I find it odd that having compatibility view enabled did not give me any outdated browser messages until after I installed Silverlight this morning. It's also odd that whether it was enabled or not I got the browser message.

For now, compatibility view is disabled and everything works like it should.

#5 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

If using Silverlight.....Certain video progs like Sky/go for example need it
If you use CCleaner it is advisable to open CCleaner and click on the Applications tab.
Under Multimedia...untick Microsoft Silverlight.
This only applies to CCleaner and will solve the inability to watch certain live videos

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hi again -
All I can add is to keep an eye on the .NET framework and its updates, to be sure the issue will not arise again, as Silverlight is .Net Framework related.

Do you think this was related to the browser problem, as IE7 could not be installed on a new, plain, Win7, and the issue must have been Silverlight related only, or left-overs from a VM - (my first thought if you re-read my earlier post)

The last item is just to do a search for ANY, I.E.7 traces that may have remained from the old VM, as this may not have been fully cleaned out of the old XP VM in the reinstall. (regardless of what you believe)
As we know, "Computers do actually have a partial mind of their own" - I will allow you to use that quote in future, if you wish :busy:

Good Luck and Goodbye - :hello:

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

noknojon, There won't be any traces of IE7 leftover from the VM because after the Win7 reinstall I did not put the VM back on my computer.

Do you think this was related to the browser problem, as IE7 could not be installed on a new, plain, Win7, and the issue must have been Silverlight related only, or left-overs from a VM - (my first thought if you re-read my earlier post)

The last item is just to do a search for ANY, I.E.7 traces that may have remained from the old VM, as this may not have been fully cleaned out of the old XP VM in the reinstall. (regardless of what you believe)
As we know, "Computers do actually have a partial mind of their own" - I will allow you to use that quote in future, if you wish

That did remind me of something. When reinstalling Win7 a folder called Windows.old is automatically created which is a backup of files and folders.

I still have Windows.old from the previous install. I went to the folder and there it is-a VirtualBox VMS folder. Within that folder is VM XP Pro which has 2 folders-Logs which contains a text document and a file and Snapshots which is empty. I don't know if the VMS folder contains anything that would cause my computer to see IE as version 7. In any case I deleted the folder.

The only thing is that the problem began BEFORE I installed the VM and put Win XP on it.

I have no clue if the problem is related to Silverlight. The only thing I do know is that until I installed Silverlight yesterday I did NOT have the problem.

Calden-I do not use CC Cleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users