Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Laptop screen cloudy and foggy......

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

HP Pavilion dv8110us laptop
sp3 Windows Home edition.

My LCD screen is cloudy and foggy. If I hold and squeeze certain parts of the bezel, it looks normal (except for (3-4) vertical lines on my screen). If I let go of this pressure, its cloudy again.
But as the days have gone by it got worse. Here is some history on my LCD screen.

I had 2 broken LCD hinges. I ordered them, & installed them only to realize that they had sent me the wrong ones. I needed the single lamp hinges and they had sent me the dual lamp ones. They were able to hold the LCD up but they were not a perfect fit and the entire screen had some gap so the bezel was never put on. I Could not return them Back to china. After more than a year later, I finally ordered the right ones. We put them on 2 months ago, and my unit is physically sound and tight now.

However, one of the problems that my LCD had when it still had the wrong hinges was this issue I have mentioned here. Most of the time it was easily fixed by tapping on the screen on the side, or squeezing/letting go. At times I used a clothes pin to keep it tight (keeping in mind that the wrong hinges & missing bezel might not be giving the screen a good contact to whatever is behind the glass, etc). But it would be fine and screen looked perfect.

It is odd that now that I have correct hinges and a nice and tight LCD screen, this keeps happening. At first it was occasional fading/clouding and it fixed with a tap or squeeze. But today, I squeeze, tilt screen, tap and for a split second, I can see my normal screen, but it goes back to the cloudy foggy state. It is almost like something is not making contact back there. But, as I said, now it wont even stay normal but just for a split second. I just tried now to hold the back of the screen and pull slightly forward, toward me (as if I am going to close it but dont) and hold it still, My picture looks normal and good. As soon as I let go of the screen, it goes back to cloudy.

Note that I can still see what I am doing and typing. But it is hard on some websites that are lighter in color with alot of white.

When attached to an external monitor or LCD tv, the picture shown on these other units is normal.

ALso note that when the correct hinges were replaced 2 mos ago, so was this little cable that came with the hinges. it is like 8 inches long and has a connecter to it. Dont remember the name of it but it could be an inverter for the screen. I thought it be best to use it since it came with the hinges. I dont think that this is the problem, though, because even when it had the original cable, it was still doing this (but not that much)-

Sorry I made this post long but I thought it be best to fill you in on some history to see if it is relevant to my issue.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

It sounds as if the screen is bad. If the part of the bezel you squeeze is the top part, Over where the electronics in a LCD screen are, The part that also says do not press. That the Cable hooks up to. The other way to tell is only a LCD has an inverter with a 2 wire plug from the screen to it.

One slim chance make sure the cable is tight at the screen.

On a LED screen the electronics are on the bottom of the screen as is where the cable plugs in.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 June 2012 - 05:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users