Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PSU Blew Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DezoLord

DezoLord

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello.

I bought a computer last January and here are its specs:

ASUS M4A78LT-M Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 1055T x6 @ 2.8Ghz
Zotac nVidia GeForce 430GT
PSU: WIN Power Model 500W

A month ago I bought 2 LG 23inch monitors but the GT430 only had VGA and HDMI inputs, the monitors displayed in different quality. So I decided to upgrade my GFX card and bought EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX460 SE v2 with 2 DVI inputs.

The next day I tried to play a game and the gfx card started to overheat and crash. I installed the gadget that checks the temperature of the GPU and it was 40C idle and 70C/higher when played games.

Today I turned the computer on and the PSU blew up. Before upgrading to GTX460, on the official nVidia forums I asked if this card will run grand on my PC and I was told that it will, so I went ahead and bought it but now I regret it. Can anybody try to explain to me why my PSU blew up? Was my PSU too bad? What did I do wrong?

Sorry for my English.

Edited by DezoLord, 21 June 2012 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I think the PSU blow up because it couldn't handle the load.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Often times, people make some really, lousy assumptions when it comes to PSUs. Often time, its simply because they dont know, and in this case, may have asked the wrong people. First, they assume that just because the video card says it needs a 500 watt PSU, that any 500 watt PSU will run it. False. Thats a 500 watt minimum wattage, and thats assuming you have a generic system-not to many peripherals. Second, what many people overlook, is the amperage output on the +12v rails, which supplies the power to your video card, and other components. There is a sticker on the side of your PSU that has all the different rails-there should be at least one, if not more rails marked +12 and under the +12 there will be a number with a a beside it, for example, 18a. Most Generic brand PSUs usually have only one +12v rail, usually rated at 15 amps or less, and since I cant even find a win brand online, Im guessing yours is generic. If your PSU cant put out enough wattage to handle your video card and other components, or theres not enough amperage to power everything, then your PSU will fry, and you risk frying other components.

People also assume that since the PSU says 500 watts that it will hold 500 watts under load-thats not true. With most lower end PSUs, thats your peak wattage-as in, thats where it will fry, it will only hold that wattage for less then a minute usually. Most of your higher end PSUs will label their PSUs with their continuous wattage-so always make sure you research the PSU and make sure that that 500 watt is continuous power, not peak.

When people ask me what to purchase for parts, I always recomend that you not skimp on the PSU or the motherboard-always buy the best of those that you can afford. Dont buy the off brands, spend the extra for the big brands such as Antec, Coolermaster, OCZ, or Corsair-and try to go for at least 100 if not 150 watts more then what you actually need, in order to give you room to upgrade later. As for the +12v rails, some people prefer a single rail setup, while some PSUs use multiple +12v rains. I prefer the multiple rails, but theres nothing wrong with the singles as long as its a high quality unit, and I would recomend you find one with at least 40-50 amps on the rails (if multiple, all of them combined) if not more. Stay away from the off brands, and if you can, I really like the modular PSUs but thats not a necessity, what you want is probably a good 550-600 watt PSU of good manufactur, such as this

Edited by the_patriot11, 21 June 2012 - 11:04 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

Thank you very much for explaining everything to me. I now understand what I have done wrong. I have an old PSU in my old PC, I think it's 450W so I am going to take GTX460 out of the computer and test the old PSU to make sure all other parts didn't get damaged. If they are, looks like I am going to start saving up for a new custom-built PC. Could you also recommend a good website where I could buy a custom PC or build my own? (Also, shipping - worldwide. I live in Ireland.)

Could you recommend me something better than THIS? I would like a 600W but with more power connectors because my GTX460 SE v2 requires 2x 6-pin. The PSU that blew up didn't have enough power connectors for the GPU so I had to buy splitters. (Probably shouldn't have done that.) I made a new thread here and asked to recommend a good PSU for my GPU and one person that this PSU would be good. Is that true?

Edited by DezoLord, 22 June 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

It is a good PSU, though I dont like the site your buying it from, any site thats to lazy to post all the specs isnt worth my money in my opinion. Most of my components and computer I purhcase off of www.newegg.com or occasionally www.tigerdirect.com

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Oh, I wasn't going to buy it from that website. I bought it from Pixmania.

Thanks for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users