Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop BSOD Stop 0x00000f4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 haroldm814

haroldm814

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hey everyone!

Yesterday my HP laptop shut off unexpectedly and when I rebooted it, about 30 seconds after logging in and double clicking chrome, the laptop BSOD'd on me. It's giving me the STOP: 0x000000F4 error with some other parameters. It will BSOD almost immediately after trying to load anything other than simple folder opening and even then it will crash after a while. I did some poking around online and found that there was the possibility of a driver error so I enabled Verifier.exe and rebooted and the computer would BSOD immediately after the Windows logo comes "flying in".

Now, I can operate the computer in safe mode so I booted into it and disabled verifier and I'm now able to boot into Windows regularly again, albeit it BSOD's pretty soon afterward. I wouldn't really have a problem as the HDD is under warranty BUT because I bought it from some little shop nearby and he upgraded it to a 750 from 640, HP won't replace the 750 and I'll be damned if I'm out 90gb's.

I have bluescreenviewer on the laptop and can view the crash report but it's not very helpful, it blames: ntoskrnl.exe+5053dc

Anyone have any advice? I can supply any additional info you guys want. Also I'll screenshot the bluescreenviewer page later as I can't do it right this minute.

Oh, I also ran the HP diagnostics and it returned as FAILED on the HDD every time, memory passed as did the other tests.

Thanks guys!

Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit
HP dv6-6b26us

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Post the bluescreen results and if you have read the steps on how to zip-upload the driver verifier txt report, please attach it next time. You can also use Windows error checking tool together with a report for the hard drive status. Make sure to backup any important documents first. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello haroldm814,

Oh, I also ran the HP diagnostics and it returned as FAILED on the HDD every time.

I suspect that you found part or all of the problem. As jhayz said, make sure to backup any important data before continuing.

You could also run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software linked from here as a second opinion:
  • Download the DOS version and install it onto a floppy disk or burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Run both short and extended tests. A fail in either test would indicate a failing HDD.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 haroldm814

haroldm814
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just to let you guys know I'm not a neophyte with computers. I'll pop the hdd in an external enclosure later and move anything I want to keep. I was thinking about re installing Windows as well. I'll post the BSOD stuff later, as now I have a deck to build in 95 degree weather -_-

I downloaded Seatools DOS last night as well and put it on a thumbdrive but when booted it didn't even detect the hdd, despite it being a Seagate. Most peculiar.

I ran Memtest86 overnight for yicks and giggles and after 8 passes had no errors, yay.

Update you all soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users