Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FIles copied to 2nd drive gone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quadcells

quadcells

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hi All,
New here, looks like a great site.
I have a very important question about files I copied on to a different drive.
I copied all my data(user account) from my C drive to my E drive. The E drive already had data on it before and has plenty of room.
I saw that the data was copied then I did a "Windows Easy File Transfer" of the same C User data and also put it on the E drive. The windows easy transfer made one file.
Then I reinstall Window 7 Pro on to C drive. I booted up the computer and looked in the E drive for my data, but Windows changed that drive to F from E. I looked in F and there were the files, but I could click on them. I rebooted the computer and upon boot-up the computer wanted to do and chdsk on F and I let it. Now I cannot see those files that I copied before the reinstall, but I can see the other files that were on that drive. Also the used space does not add up to what the drive says, so I think the files are there, just cannot see them.
Would anyone have an idea how I can get those files back.
/quadcells

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

To access Docs/Settings files/folders which have been copied and relocated...you probably have to take ownership of the files in the new location.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

#3 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hello quadcells,

First of all do not write to the F: drive.

Try Recuva File Recovery recuva is a free program that helps a lot of people recover files.

Also, you can also look at the root of the F:\ drive for a folder named Found.xxx (where xxx is some numbers starting with zero). If the folder is there will be files called Filexxxx.CHK (where xxxx is some number starting with zero). Sometimes these files can be recovered (made useful) and sometimes they are corrupted.

Hope this helps.

#4 quadcells

quadcells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, I will look at both of those and see what I can do.
/quadcells

#5 quadcells

quadcells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi everready,
I tried that program "Recuva"
Not sure what to do because the files I want are under the comment colume like this:
"This file is overwritten with "F:\found.004\dir0003.chk\Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG"
The file "Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG" is what I want to recover but this program says this file has overwritten an older file that was deleted.
Under the "Path" colume I cannot see F:\found.004\dir0003.chk\Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG
Can you help?

#6 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi quadcells,

Not a expert with Recuva, but I'll try to help. You could wait till someone with greater experience with Recuva come along if you like, will not hurt my feelings.

Anyway, sounds like the chkdsk that the system performed found file corruption and overwrote the .mig file. I believe that the drive F: is having problems of some sort, so do not restore the file to the same drive that it is presently on.

The Path is just the drive\folder that Recuva found for the deleted\lost file it found. What matters is do you have a green, orange, or red dot on the line that references "This file is overwritten with "F:\found.004\dir0003.chk\Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG". Green means you have a good chance to recover that file!!

Click in the box next to the filename on the line referencing "This file is overwritten with "F:\found.004\dir0003.chk\Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG" in the comment column. The Filename might not be the name you gave it initially, probably has an .dmp extension.

Click recover in the lower right. Select a drive location other than the F: drive and see what happens.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

#7 quadcells

quadcells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi,
I did a little looking and found the tree option and then I saw the "found.004" dir, had already started the recovery process so I cannot look to see if it was green or red. I know in a few hrs. when it's done.
Thanks for your help. I'll post back with the results.
/quadcells

#8 quadcells

quadcells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi All,
Well I came across this program called Badcopy Pro and it found my files and I can get them back now. SO glad and so is my wife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users