Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ideas for Android Apps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I want to get into developing an Android app, but I have no idea what would be new or popular.

First off, do you think people would pay, say $1-2.50 on an app?

I don't have a smartphone, so I don't really know what is in the market right now. Can someone please give me some ideas for things that have not been done or has been done poorly?

One idea that I have is making a trig calculator app that would save high school students so much money.
Malware shall not pass!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

>First off, do you think people would pay, say $1-2.50 on an app?

That depends on what the app does. Apps that do amazing things can charge more.

>One idea that I have is making a trig calculator app that would save high school students so much money.

How does a trig calculator save one money? Most high schools require use of Ti-83 series calculators or equivalents (at least here in the US) in any case where electronic help is allowed. (And there are plenty of trig calculators written for those, including one by yours truly...)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I meant that someone could pay 2.50 for a trig calculator on their phone instead of buying a Ti-83/84/89 for over a $100 (if it's new).
Malware shall not pass!

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Not really. Students can't generally use their phones in a classroom setting. The Ti designs are used in part because they are *limited*.
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

I am just learning the android sdk, and I have a few questions about that.

Are the touching capabilities automatically programmed for every app? What I mean is will a button recognize a finger touch without any programming by the developer?
Malware shall not pass!

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

What I mean is will a button recognize a finger touch without any programming by the developer?

No. Any behaviors need to be programmed.

#7 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the input Billy O'Neil and groovicus.

Do you think a platformer would sell? Many games based on that have become so popular.

Edited by Pizza and Pepsi, 22 June 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Malware shall not pass!

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

No idea, I'm not an andriod Dev. I would say that if there are already three million of something in the marketplace though, that creating *another* one, particularly as your first app, is probably not going to do so hot.

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Can you please suggest something that would be popular? I don't really know what people want.
Malware shall not pass!

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Every dev on the face of the earth is trying to answer that question. You have to come up with your own answer.

Billy3
Posted Image

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

That is what is called 'market research'. Seriously, any good ides for apps I have, I develop myself. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and there are tons of great ideas.

Think about what sort of apps you would like to have and use, then develop it. Chances are if you find it useful, someone else will too. Since you state that you want 'develop an android app', I am assuming that you don't have much programming experience. Otherwise you would realize that programming for a mobile device is not that much different than programming for a PC, or tablet, etc. And if you can program something in one language, with a little research, you can port it to almost any language you want. So if it is the case that you have little programming experience, then you should just worry about learning how to write simple programs first.

#12 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

I have some experience in Java (on a PC), but I don't know how the features for the Android are used (like touch,tilting).

I want to learn some more and I have been reading Murach's Beginning Java 2, JDK 5. The thing I like about this book is that on the right side, there is sample code and on the left, the code is explained. Unfortunately, the series does not have that many books and I wanted to know if anybody knew of similarly-written books.

Thanks
Malware shall not pass!

#13 Yetzederixx

Yetzederixx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Get the Android SDK and start reading the documentation. There are quite a few books on how to program for Android, but you're going to end up reading a ton of the SDK documentation anyway.

Also, Java is Java it's just a language like what we commonly refer to as language; English, Spanish, Swahili, etc. Just like any language it has syntax rules that are used to form sentences, paragraphs, books, etc. Think of a SDK as a subset of a language specific to technical speech for certain industries.

Edited by Yetzederixx, 16 July 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'll give you an idea for an app.

There are many apps available for blocking calls. They all have the option to set a blocked number to ring and send to voicemail.

What I want is one that can be set to tell the robo callers "This number is no longer in service". That *might* get my number off their lists. Even though the number is on the do not call list there are plenty of people who call anyway.

The app would have to be free.

You state you do not have a smart phone. If you were to develop an app, how would you test it for yourself? In order to find out if it is a good app you would have to use it.

#15 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the idea Queen-Evie. I would be able to test the app by using an emulator which stimulates a smart phone. I will let you know when this app comes out (should take 6 months max).
Malware shall not pass!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users