Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accessing Yahoo Groups via Gmail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 colin

colin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:14 AM

I'm trying to access Yahoo Groups via Gmail.

The Gmail address is set up in Yahoo Groups [not as my primary Yahoo email address but as the second named address if it makes any difference].

My Yahoo account has sent a verification email to my Gmail account.

From my Gmail account I've returned the verification email and Yahoo confirms that the Gmail account is valid and verified.

The Yahoo group is set to send individual emails to the nominated email address but I still can't get Gmail to pick up my Yahoo email.

I've tried emailing the Gmail helpline but all they do is send an automated reply saying to look in Gmail's FAQ, which don't seem to cover the issue at all.

I'm running WSP2 in WXP on IE6 with Norton 2005.

Has anyone else had this problem?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

Does it send the info to the primary email address on the account and not the secondary?

#3 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:30 AM

Hi Grinler

Thanks for the reply.

No, the emails from the groups that have Gmail as the nominated address don't make it to the primary [non Gmail] address either. They just don't seem to go anywhere.

Incidentally, in case you wonder the reason I can't just use the primary address for all groups is that its a work-based email address [some of the groups are relevant to my job] but I don't want all of my groups linking to my work email acount because of privacy issues on the server at work.

I think what I'll try doing is to delete the Gmail address and then set it up again and through the verification process again. Maybe that'll help.

However what I was thinking, and maybe you could offer a view here since your technical knowledge is much better than mine, is whether any of my firewall software could be affecting the position. I've got Norton 2005 Internet Security running with everything set on the default settings. I'm running a fully updated windows XP with SP2, but I've disabled the windows firewall in preference to Norton. I've also got spywareblaster monitoring the IE connection. As far as I can tell nothing in the Norton firewall or email scanning settings is in any way censoring my Gmail account, but I still can't make the connection.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and, if you can help, I'd be very grateful.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:55 PM

No it should not matter what you have running on your computer. The yahoo server send directly to the gmail servers so your config should not matter.

#5 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hi Grinler,

Guess what.

I reinput my Gmail address as previously mentioned. Then I waited 24 hours and, hey presto, its working fine now.

I've no idea why the second time I set up my Gmail link was any different from the first time - I did exactly the same procedure. Sometimes, computers just seem to have minds of their own.

Anyway, its working now so problem solved.

Many thanks for your interest and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users