Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slows way down/videos freeze up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wazza10

wazza10

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, hope this is the right thread to ask for help. Here is my laptop: HP dv6000 2GB RAM, Intel Mobile 1.50 GHz Windows 7 Ultimate

I bought the laptop used about a month ago and everything seemed fine. A few days later I noticed that the fan was running a lot, so I read a tutorial online and used a can of compressed air to clean out/off any dust and such. Right away the fan/computer was much quieter.

My situation now is that whenever I watch a video (Netflix, HULU or even something stored on my HD), within a minute or two the video freezes/locks up or sound and video are lagging quite a bit.

I have no indications of malware/virus and it seems everything else is mostly fine with the computer. I did the Windows troubleshooting and it recommended lowering resolution and turning off Windows Transparency. I haven't done either because I wanted to ask for help before I start changing settings.

I installed Core Temp. 1.0 about an hour ago and both Core's are running between 72-76 deg C with a Tj.Max of 85*C.

Forgot to mention that my internet speed is currently at 6.5 Mbps

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Edited by wazza10, 21 June 2012 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wazza10

wazza10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

So an update: Was watching some Youtube videos to see how if maybe temperature would go up and sure enough it did. After about 10 minutes of watching videos, the temp starting creeping up, and then the temp hit 78*C and about a minute later the "load" monitor said 100% and that correlated with the video freezing up.

I did another sweep of the fan/fan area with compressed air. Currently the temps are in the low 50's.

#3 wazza10

wazza10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

So I think I have the problem narrowed down. Decided to try watching Netflix and almost immediately the temperatures shot up from the mid 50's to low 70's. Plus the "loads" for each core shot up very quickly into the 80-90% range. I turned the movie off before it froze up.

So is this a fan issue? Video card? Ideas on what I should do? Thank you much.

#4 wazza10

wazza10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

So here's the current status and some questions. My computer's temp and loads% according to Core Temp are fine, up until I start watching an sort of video. I don't hear the fan at all and this is after cleaning the fan three times with compressed air. So it has gone from making a ton of noise to making absolutely no sound at all.

Could the fan be the issue? How do I test to see if my fan is even working at all? Could I have accidentally unplugged a cord or wire that goes to it?

I've done what research I can find (understand) online about my model of computer and it seems a lot of folks have problems with the video chip/GTU?

I greatly appreciate any help you folks can provide. Thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#6 wazza10

wazza10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XOmF0INY2alBqiChfvgxCAM

Thank you for the help Hamluis

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would uninstall SpeedMaxPc and keep it off the system. I would uninstall that...then run the chkdsk /r command...followed by running the sfc /scannow command...and see how the system fares.

Other than that, I don't see anything revealed that I would change.

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

when you cleaned the fan, did you dismantle the computer to get to it or did you just blow air into the intake/outlet?

TFN

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

on the dv6000 you can remove the keyboard easily.

check out section 5.10 (cover) and 5.11 (keyboard) in this pdf
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf

if you feel competent to do that you can go ahead and follow procedure. when the keyboard is loose, put power back on the computer and see if the fan spins. it should be visible below the keyboard in the upper right corner.

if you are even a bit uncertain, please dont mess with it. its not very hard to break something that absolutely shouldnt be broken. take it to a good tech and let them do the job :)

hth!

TFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users