Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iYogi on another level

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

The post by MML http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457618.html/page__p__2736783__hl__iyogi__fromsearch__1#entry2736783 is very interesting to me for a few reasons. The way that he told us what happened:

"Posted Yesterday, 03:48 AM
My father was trying to figure out how to add an extra wireless account to our network - he googled for it, and made the mistake of picking a company that wasn't directly related to our router but the top, which was called iyogi. While attempting to get help retrieving our wireless password while on customer service with the iyogi people, she accessed this PC and manually dissabled a lot of our programs in an atempt to get us to pay for bogus tech support, as well as disabling automatic updates on the virus protection. All of this caused him to fairly quickly figure out that it's not a smart idea to click the most popular entry when you google ."

I would like to ask MML if he was actually there when his Dad did a Google search? I had a similar experience but here are details that i think are critically important because it is my belief that this company and probably more companies are using a type of technique, or maybe it can be called a method, whatever it is that is being used to lure potential victims in immediately confusing them making it near impossible to report the specifics of the trap to anyone one attempts to use to undo the damage done.

In my case it was my Dad's computer and a wireless network that I set up for him so anyone visiting my parents could use their own computer to access their email or whatever they might want to do without asking him to use his desktop. He loved the idea and so did family and friends who came to visit. I purchased my Mom a new laptop so she too could have her own computer and leave Dad's alone. Anytime something went wrong with his computer he would always blame the last person who asked to use it. Now he couldn't blame anyone else but himself for problems.

Well that is what I thought until I was faced with tech calls for months about my Mom's computer not being able to access the internet. Three months later I was back at their home, tried to access his SSID from her laptop and got all of the messages saying that ABC ( ssid name < not really that but for practical purposes only > )

All of the hardware was new as was Mom's computer and Dad's, both less than a year old. Knowing that Linksys has in the past been great with tech help I did a Google search for "Linksys" and found "Cisco/support.com" ( it might have been a little different than that but it was enough to fool me. I called the 800 number and was once again fooled by the tech's willingness to agree with me about everything. Throughout the several hour phone call that I made, I was told "this call might be recorded"; I kept asking " Is this Cisco " and a few other variations of that question, I was told over and over ( and here is where the words they used are well thought out and crafted to deceive and give the illusion that one was speaking with Cisco. I wonder if MML's Dad was not sucked into the trap as well?

But here is the thing and I can't figure out how to know for sure if this is absolutely true but it occurred to me that this "company" or "Entity" is not just picking our pockets from Pakistan they in many cases create an internet portal for for whomever to access the world and make it appear that it is you the victim who is trying to hack into anywhere.

If you think that I am paranoid I can tell you that a few days after this happened there was a story in the newspaper ( yes, i still read the newsPAPER <s> ) about an overseas scam that in part has to do with giving permission to a tech to take control of your computer and not give it back when the call is finished.

What i nightmare getting my money back from the credit card company. Six months so far and although this time I think it's finished, closed, and I got the 169.99 credited back to me. But this company keeps challenging the CC companies decision to refund my money.

Far too many people told me to " just forget about it! It's not worth all of the aggravation for $169.99 ". Well ain't that interesting...i wonder if they don't know that also: " an amount of money that American's won't waste their time fighting over. Counting every American ( and who know how many Brits and Aussies and whomever ) they get that gives them $169.99 ( and i have heard a number of different amounts: 99.99 etc ) dollars plus unlimited portal access to the internet under someone else's identity; doesn't it make you wonder why the government isn't aware of this and issue a news statement? Well I tired. I even called "Homeland Security" That might be the biggest joke of all. I could not get a correct phone number and every group or organization who now has the number listed on the page one finds when using Google will tell you that they have no idea how to get a hold of " The Real Homeland Security " After an hour of calling numbers and speaking to people who worked for the government but " can't help you " about something that they know nothing about...

Isn't it fertile environment for every "evil doer" who hates something about America and American's? Then YOU as an American see something that should be looked into and not one call leads to interest.

It has to start somewhere why not here warning the members to be aware!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2012 - 12:26 PM.
Moved to general chat. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users