Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autochk.exe Cannot Be Found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SyGem

SyGem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

I was installing Norton Systemworks 2006 a month ago, it added a pre-boot GoBack splash screen which showed an error was present on one of my hard drives. Ignoring the [annoying] message gave no problems. I stupidly opted one time to allow GoBack to do its thing causing a crash and an unbootable Windows. I had to re-install Windows (over the top)
My pc was back to normal, but my Ghost drive imaging software was no more (that's my usual safety net) On Norton's advice, I had to uninstall Systemworks in order to reinstall the Ghost component. Big mistake!
Now I have an unbootable loop which gets to the Windows XP Home chkdsk startup window. It states that it is Autochecking drive, autochk.exe cannot be found... then reboots. Pressing F8 and opting for Safe Mode, Last Known Good, etc, all lead to rebooting loops before any Autocheck window even shows. I have disconnected all my USB devices too.
Now the Windows XP CD wont even install, stating that my partitions are not XP compatible. I even (doh!) deleted and created a new partition on hard drive 2 to allow a clean install, but it wont install there either. It was a 120Gb drive with 5 partitions - now just 1 partition.
Using the recovery console, fixboot & fixmbr haven't helped. I've extracted and copied autochk.exe to every Windows folders I can think that might be the natural home of this file, to no avail.
I have tried a data recovery boot CD, Uneraser by Active Software. It can find most of my stuff intact but not my partition tables. Previously I used similar software called something like FixPart? which successfully reinstated my partitions without data loss. I can't find the website from whence I bought it. Google searching gives thousands of results! That's why I've now tried theUneraser demo.
Does anyone know how to get Windows to disable this autocheck boot switch? I can't access the registry from the recovery console, nor boot.ini...?
Any help or suggestions are gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

Alternatives for partition recovery.

Active Partition Recovery

I've used this software in the past to recover partitions problems, there is a demo version which will give you a good indication of wether the software is worth buying.

Testdisk

There's also testdisk which may help as well.

How to use testdisk

Warning: If you use TestDisk to recover lost partitions on a target hard drive by connecting the drive to a computer other than the one it was originally partitioned and formatted on, you risk the chance of having incorrect data about the drive passed along to TestDisk from the BIOS of this other computer. BIOS chips have at least two different ways of translating disk geometry, and using the wrong data may make it impossible for TestDisk to correctly recover a drive's lost partitions; or worse, you may write the wrong data to the drive's MBR, boot up the disk and then incorrectly write data to the disk leading to further corruption and loss of data. ( This may not apply to all file systems.) TestDisk tries to detect this problem.

Offline registry editing.

UBCD4Win has several offline registry tools that will allow you to edit your XP registry. How to build UBCD4Win

Disable Autochk on reboot WinXP

This thread may help as well.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

Why would you need Goback when XP already has System Restore?

What brand of HD is it? Some have downloadable installation programs that will format and partition the drives, ie, Maxblast for Maxtor, Data Lifeguard for Western Digital, etc.
Check support at whatever manufacturer made the hard drive.
You will need the model number.

If that doesn't produce results, take the hd out of your computer and install it in another as a slave. (make sure you set the jumpers properly)
Format it with Windows.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 March 2006 - 11:42 PM.

#4 SyGem

SyGem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:53 AM

Both hard disks are Maxtors. My concern, though, is trying to keep my data intact. I've created an UCD4WIN boot CD successfully. I'm now trying its utilities, but I think I'm going to have to pay for proper data recovery software.
Thanks to stidyup for the fast and helpful suggestions.

Edited by SyGem, 05 March 2006 - 03:55 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

Maxtor has Maxblast 4 which does a great job formatting (and partitioning if you want), and is available free by download.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...s&downloadID=57

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users