Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamKane

WilliamKane

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

How do I increase the size of the memory on my pc? It's pretty full and I've done everything I can with it so where do I start?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Do you mean memory as in hard drive or RAM?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 WilliamKane

WilliamKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Ha ha. Erm, I don't know. I'm a novice at these things! Could you explain them both please? I know what RAM stands for but that's about it.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

RAM is random access memory. Hard drive, or hard disk, is where your data files reside, such as music, videos, games, documents, etc.

RAM is important as data from the hard drive isn't read directly into the CPU, but goes to the RAM first. RAM can be accessed in any order and is extremely fast, but, data in RAM only exists so long as the computer is powered on. While the computer is on, the RAM acts kind of like a temporary workspace loading data from the hard drive as needed and passing it along to the CPU.

A hard drive retains data when it is powered off and provides long-term storage. Unlike RAM, the vast majority of hard drives are mechanical with moving parts inside. Compared to RAM, a hard drive is very slow, but it is mainly used for long term storage and access, so speed isn't a very serious concern. There is a type of hard drive, a solid state disk, that functions like RAM in that it is exceptionally fast, but still retains data when powered off.

3939.png

#5 WilliamKane

WilliamKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well on balance, I think it's RAM that I'm looking for?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Do you have enough space to store your files, or does your computer need more RAM?

To help you with this, we need to know more about your PC. Who made your computer and what is its model number? We can look up what your computer will need with this information.

3939.png

#7 WilliamKane

WilliamKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Aspire T180-197Z

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

At Acer's site, this appears to be your model.

Assuming that is indeed your computer, it can take up to 4GB of DDR2 533/667/800 RAM. The Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 would get you going. Depending on the number of RAM slots you have, you can get either two or four of these to max out your RAM. That PC of yours was never a good performer anyway, but it gets the job done.

3939.png

#9 WilliamKane

WilliamKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks my friend. I'll try that.

#10 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

1. go on here http://www.offtek.co.uk/ scan your PC, hopefully it will see your RAM type.. and select some RAM for you
2. if not then open your case and look for the stick with the white tabs on the top and bottom, press them and then take the RAM out.. it will have a Product number and RAM type... DDR2, DDR3 ..
3. Buy the RAM
4. When you have the RAM take out the other RAM like I told you on step 2 and then get the new ram and put them into the slots and press them down so far that the white tabs click into place.. if it feels like it wont fit flip the RAM over.. don't be aggressive with them.

Thanks
Chris

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users