Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help choosing a new or used inexpensive computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

I hired a veteran who is struggling to make ends meet; to do handy work around my house.

On trips I email him with details about jobs that need to be done. He used to email me back in less than an hour. When it started taking 4 or 5 hours to reply I asked him if he stopped keeping his computer on. Turns out the the screen was broken in a fight with his GF and now that she asked him to leave he has to go to the library and wait for it to open before he can reply. So I picked up and older Dell laptop that at first seemed like it was in good condition. It was "reasonable" enough that even if I have to give it to charity it won't be such a bad thing.

But after finding out that attempting to open a document or a program often results in a message that " An error has occurred and windows needs to restart " So the computer restarts. There is an error code suggesting that it may have to do with a printer that is listed but is not part of the system now. I uninstalled that printer and it's software. The errors still occurs. That said, it may not matter since I'm thinking that win 2000 is no longer supported and I found out after I got it home that it doesn't have wireless capabilities. Instead of attempting to update this dinosaur I'm thinking that it might be best to buy a brand new one that is entry level which I have seen for under $300.00

Any thoughts about buying a entry level new one vs a used one that has better hardware and software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,917 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

So, are you

A ) wanting assistance in getting the Windows 2000 machine up and running or

B ) wanting assistance in getting a new inexpensive machine ?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2012 - 12:34 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

i think the win 2000 is best used as a paper weight

A used laptop on ebay might be a reasonable purchase and then there is this new Android mini for $129.00.

10.1" Mini Netbook Laptop 4GB Android 2.2 800MHZ 256MB Wifi Camera Black

Don't forget i'm just giving this to the guy so he doesn't have to wait for the library to open.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2012 - 01:54 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote. ~ OB

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,917 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I have retitled the topic to: Need help choosing a new or used inexpensive computer so it fits with the purpose of the topic. I'm also moving this topic to the forum Questions and Advice for Buying a New Computer so you will get better assistance.

It would help if you clearly and succinctly itemized the basic needs of the machine you want to get.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

FWIW: Lots of laptops available at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&sel=Price%3BPrice5 . use your own criteria to review such.

I see that you mentioned eBay. I personally don't believe in buying computers these days via eBay because I don't trust the private sellers and I would rather go with a known retailer like like Tiger Direct. But, as I said, employ your own values.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

If you just need it for email, why not look at a netbook? I saw one at $229 and a low end new laptop at $329 in the advertising from a brick and mortar store when I looked this morning.

Neither would be super fast but they would be new with warranty.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users