Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to install Dell 1600n printer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AlecWS

AlecWS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

I have an old Dell 1600n printer I love connected on my home network. It's connected to one XP machine (and shared). All our computers here use it XP laptops, Win 98 desktop and my Win 7 laptop. However, I can't get it to install to my new Win 7 desktop. I've downloaded Dells drivers and extracted them to a folder in my user area; however, neither running the setup utility that's part of the driver package (which can't find the printer on the network) or using the Add Printer function in Win 7 (which can't find an INF file) are working.

The Win 7 error is "No driver found. Windows can't find a driver for Dell Laser MFP 1600n on the network. To locate one manually, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and consult your network administrator or the printer manufacturer's website." I've tried point it to any number of the extracted files from the driver package and no luck.

Any help is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hello -
Is this the Personal version, or Laser Multi-Function Printer ??
Here is the manual for the Dell™ Laser Multi-Function Printer 1600n that may have some help inside -

Please post back if you want more information -

#3 AlecWS

AlecWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

It's the MFP. (Sorry, thought they all were.) I'm not seeing anything that leads in the right direction in the manual either. I think it was actually one of the readme docs I saw in the driver install but it doesn't say anything about installing the drivers that I can see.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Hi again -
I would be a bit careful attaching that printer to a Win7 desktop, as they are designed for up to XP SP3 with updates for Vista

Dell drivers Covers the printer on the site, but you need to look for it. I found it here, but could not create a shortcut for you -
If you do not have the install CD - download the application,,,and system management
Look for - Windows 7 32bit web package for Dell 1600n Multi-function Printer. This package contains print and scan drivers

#5 AlecWS

AlecWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks. I'm a little confused right now but I think I did find the package you're talking about and I'm downloading it. I noticed it says 32bit and I'm running Win 7 64bit but that hopefully won't affect the printer drivers. Hopefully when I get the package open it will all be clear to me.

Thanks!

#6 AlecWS

AlecWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I've got to admit what still confuses me most about this is that I was able to install to my Win7 laptop last year and for the life of me I can't think that it was this complicated...

#7 AlecWS

AlecWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hi again -
I would be a bit careful attaching that printer to a Win7 desktop, as they are designed for up to XP SP3 with updates for Vista

Dell drivers Covers the printer on the site, but you need to look for it. I found it here, but could not create a shortcut for you -
If you do not have the install CD - download the application,,,and system management
Look for - Windows 7 32bit web package for Dell 1600n Multi-function Printer. This package contains print and scan drivers

Okay, so I downloaded the new drivers and I'm still getting the same error. It still says it can't find the drivers on the network, asks me to find them (either I can't or it doesn't recognize it when I do) and still won't install. So I went a step further and plugged the printer into this computer and installed the printer and the drivers that way so now I know they're all there and installed on my computer. Then I connected the drive back to my computer I'm using as a printer server (since scanning isn't supported with this printer on Win 7) and it once again says it can't find a driver, blah, blah, blah...

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Please note that your printer (Dell 1600n) is an old model and there will be problems connecting to networks with Win 7 involved
The drivers alone may not be enough to install this on your setup, you may require more -

Do you have an install CD for this printer, and can you set it to run as XP mode ??

EDIT - Was the Laptop 64bit, as I noted something while searching about not suiting 64bit units -

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#9 AlecWS

AlecWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, the laptop I'm running it on is running Win 7 64 bit - i7 Sandy Bridge. It's a Sony F series.

I do have the install CD somewhere but I think that would just put me at the same spot as I am with being able to run it locally but not over the network. I want to keep the printer attached to the old XP machine though because it requires Paperport for scanning and that only runs on XP.

So, in regards to the "more" I agree. I looked up the driver files on the laptop and it looks like those are just DLLs and other files never the INF file that the PC looks for when its installing the printer. I wonder if I could just try and copy those to the right directory or something?

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

I want to keep the printer attached to the old XP machine though because it requires Paperport for scanning and that only runs on XP.

It is looking like 2 choices - A newer printer, or leave this computer off the system -

The install CD is designed for XP basically, so you would need to make your Win7 run in XP Mode (see link below)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7/

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users