Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

small board puzzle game not work - ActiveX cannot be created

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

I tried a small, old puzzle board game (which can be found on www.demu.org) called Boxed 1.02 which works on Windows 98 and Windows XP, but when tried on Windows Vista or Windows 7, it will not run. The Windows show a dialog message, "Active X Control cannot be created", and so the game never starts. Not really serious; old game on NEW operating system. Can anything be done on the systems with Vista or 7 in order to make the game work? By any chance does someone know of a nearly identical or very similar game, small in size, that will work on Vista or 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Which browser are you using when you try to play this game?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Which browser are you using when you try to play this game?

The game is first unzipped from a zipped package and then played directly without any internet browser. The game is played and exists on the computer; it is not played remotely through internet. Therefore, no browser.

I mentioned specifically the game called Boxed version 1.02. You can find a description and a link to download from here: http://demu.org/resource-details/3269

Edited by cafejose, 21 June 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hello cafejose,

I saw "active-x" and thought browser; hence, my question. Thank you for the clarification.

I must say, you now have me hooked on that game. I've been spending time, besides playing the game, looking for similar games that work on Vista or Windows 7 and searching for ways to play the game on either of those operating systems.

Note that I have Windows XP SP3 and do not have access to either Vista or Windows 7 to experiment on.

Here's what I've found. There is apparently in both Vista and at least certain versions of Windows 7 something called compatibility mode. You may wish to see if you can run the program in compatibility mode. If this were the type of game that installed, I'd suggest reinstalling the program in compatibility mode with Admin. rights. In Windows XP, I can find compatibility mode this way: Right click on the game icon, click on Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. There should be an option for choosing Compatibility mode and selecting an OS. I'd choose Windows XP in this case. There's a chance that I might be able to try this on on a Windows 7 machine sometime this weekend at the public library since it looks like this is a game that doesn't actually install. In short, I think I can put it on a USB drive and run it from there.

Another idea that occurs to me is to get a Virtual Machine and run XP on it. Please check licensing requirements for doing that. You could then run the program on the virtual machine. Again, I have no experience in running a virtual machine. The RAM on my machine doesn't allow for it.

Unfortunately, the only similar games I found were even older, and most if not all of them are online versions.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 June 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I finally got to the library to test out the game on a Windows 7 machine. It does run off a flash drive; however, restrictions in place on the computer prevent me from seeing if the game will run in compatibility mode.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

@ cafejose and O B -
I now have this on my XP (attempt transfer to Win7 today), and I was wondering if either of you could run the game in Reasonably large mode ?
The game is the type of thing I am always looking for, but the small window makes it hard for me to always / often click the correct blocks -

Has the game got a larger format also ?? or a way to increase the size ??

Thank You -

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

The only way I can think of to change the size of the board would be to change your screen resolution so that the pixels are bigger. This results, however, in a fuzzier image.

I haven't experimented with that myself.

And no, I haven't found any larger sized versions.

~ OB :cherry:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Latest update -
I have attempted to run the game on the Win7 computer but it will not run even after trying several settings.
The main (only) error is - Run-time Error '429' - ActiveX component can't create object -

It seems to have installed, but it will not run even after changing settings to run in other modes.
Final result - Unless a "solution" is found to Error '429' , it will be deleted from the Win7 computer and just left on the XP -

Sorry but I am no help here so far -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users