Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startu Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gasmith2

gasmith2

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just built a new pc with the following components:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
Processor: AMD A8-3870K
Motherboard (AMD): Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H (rev 1.0)
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G
Power Supply: Cooler Master / Elite Power 350W
Hard Drive (SSD): Corsair-Force Series 3-CSSD-F60GB3A-BK
Hard Drive: Western Digital / WD5000AAKX Cavier Blue
Optical Drive: HP 1260i

I got everything loaded/updated on the comp and everything was great. I decided to save more space on my SSD drive so I uninstalled the programs that came with the optical drive along with quicktime, firefox maintenance, and apple updater. I then restarted the computer. It cam up to a screen which says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...

Launch startup repair (recommended)
Start Windows normally

And so on...

The problem is my keyboard and mouse had no power, so I couldn't even select anything. It went through startup repair and didn't come up with any problems. I turned off the comp and tried it again this time my keyboard worked. Same outcome with the startup repair. I turned off the comp and started it again. This time I tried restoring to an earlier point. That didn't work either. I restarted and went through it a few more times. Sometimes my keyboard would work, sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes it would wait to come on. Very frustrating! I'm at a loss here. What should I do?

I know my windows cd has some repair function on it, but I have no idea how to get to that.

Edited by gasmith2, 20 June 2012 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

How did you go about "uninstalling" the items mentioned?

The sequence of events does not make sense if you properly uninstalled the items mentioned via Add/Remove Programs, IMO.

As for keyboard...did you try a different keyboard?

Louis

#3 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

I uninstalled the items mentioned by going into control panel and going through add/remove programs. I then clicked on uninstall and let it go fully through the uninstall.

I don't have another keyboard to use, but I plugged the mouse into another USB port and it acted the same. I even tried jiggling the keyboard cord where it goes into the port, but that didn't do anything. It just seems that at some point those ports get power.

I'm going through every thing that happened in my head. These may not mean anything, but here is everything that happened that I thought was suspicious:

• When I was installing those programs it took a long time to install, so much in fact that I right clicked the icons on the taskbar and hit close, but for whatever reason it continued the install and restarted fine.

• The first thing I did when I get everything up and running was to install the drivers (for the motherboard). I downloaded them from the website, put them on a flash drive, and then copied them to my new comps desktop. Once they installed I deleted them off of my desktop. It restarted fine after this.

• The next thing I did was to download an antivirus software. I went with Microsoft Security essentials. It went through a scan and found nothing wrong.

• I did notice the every good restart had the "Starting Windows" prompt right of center. When the bad restarts started "Starting Windows" prompt was centered.

I'm using a brand new apple keyboard and a microsoft mouse. It all worked fine till that one restart.

This all doesn't make sense to me either. What do you think?

#4 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

After it went through the Startup Repair and said it couldn't do anything I viewed the problem details and it said the following:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200113
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 5
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.7.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Hope that helps.

#5 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Also, I didn't create a system restore point before all this crap started. It was the very next thing I was going to do!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Let's try the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#7 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I can't download any programs on my computer, because I can't get past the Startup Repair. It's a never ending restart loop.

#8 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

I need a quick fix. If I wipe the hard drive (I have nothing on there except the OS) and then re-install the OS will that work? If so can I use the same disc I used to install the OS the first time with the same product key?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

If the hard drive isn't damaged...if the disk you used is legal and is associated with a valid license... with a valid key...if there are no hardware complications that you are unaware of...a wipe-and-reinstall should work.

Louis

#10 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah it's a legal copy and I'm thinking my ssd is good. How do I do it?

#11 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hey I just called microsoft and they helped me figure it out. Thank you though. Everything is working great now!

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Can you give us a clue what you and Microsoft did to fix your computer?

#13 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yes, no problem. So here is the order of events in which I was facing:

When I turned on the computer the first thing that would come up is the “Loading Operating System” screen instead of the typical motherboard screen you usually see when you turn on your comp. (Keyboard and Mouse don’t have power for whatever reason)

Then you would see the starting windows screen with the Microsoft copyright tag on the bottom of the screen. (Keyboard and Mouse don’t have power for whatever reason)

Then it would restart again without you touching anything. (Keyboard and Mouse don’t have power for whatever reason)

Then it would go to the “Loading Operating System” screen. (Keyboard and Mouse don’t have power for whatever reason)

Then it would go to the “Windows failed…choose Launch Startup Repair or Starts windows normally” (Keyboard and Mouse don’t have power for whatever reason) So here I can’t even move up and down to select an option!

Then it goes through startup repair and then says that it couldn’t fix anything send stuff to Microsoft or no. (Wait a minute and then all of the sudden power goes to the Keyboard and the Mouse)

At this point, I tried every option given to me: restore, memory test…Nothing worked.

Here is when Microsoft and I figured out a solution.

So Microsoft’s whole goal with me was to get to the boot menu (hitting F10,F12, or both within that few seconds of starting the machine) and then booting from my HP DVD Writer (which contained the Windows OEM Installation CD) or we could change the boot order to boot from the CD-ROM first and then hit “any key” when that message
Comes up after the “Loading Operating System” screen.

Ok the problem was that my keyboard and mouse wouldn’t receive power till after the whole Startup Repair thing as I mentioned before.

After the startup repair thing you can go to all the options (restore, terminal window…) and you’ll see “Shut Down” and “Restart”. If you click on shut down and then turn on the comp again you’ll get that beloved motherboard screen and guess what your keyboard and mouse work. This only happened after I went through Startup repair and then went through the other options and then shut down. If you turn off the comp anytime before this menu you’re screwed.

Ok so now that I had power to my keyboard I clicked (F10,F12, or both) and then got the boot menu. From there I selected to boot from my HP DVD Writer and then I went through another Windows installation. During the windows installation, I deleted everything (which was pretty much only the OS) off of the hard drive and went on with the installation. Since that time, everything is great! Microsoft told me that this was a rare thing and that my keyboard and mouse were fine, they were just playing games with me. This time I won!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Kudos to MS Support...glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for letting us know how it was done. Happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users