Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Setup Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am in the process of reformatting and reinstalling 3 pc's. I have had problems for at least 8 months now with my network being compromised. Here is what I want. I want to set them up so they DO NOT use any windows live applications, visio applications, mediaapplications or any other networking other than occasional internet use (shopping/casual browsing/sites like this....). I want my local hosts to be set up secure. I use a Verizon Wireless MiFi to connect with and have it set up to only let certain MAC addrs through it. I will change these firewall rules as i go to allow what I want pass them. Is there a tutorial here or could soeoe help me do this. I will be more than happy to donate for the time if there is any other way of transferring the funds other than Pay Pal. pay Pal is how all of my security problems started. Thanks you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

Have you looked into Comodo Firewall?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Just to add also regarding public wifi hotspots from Verizon wireless support FAQ.

3. Is Verizon Wi-Fi secure?

While home and business Wi-Fi hotspots can easily be secured to prevent unauthorized user access, public Wi-Fi hotspots generally do not include over-the-air encryption to protect user data from observation from other users. As such, Verizon Wireless recommends that you always use a firewall on your computer and have current anti-virus software to protect your computer from possible infection or attack.

Note: Risks can be associated with connecting to the public Internet. You are responsible for taking all necessary steps to protect your computer and personal information. Use of up-to-date antivirus, firewall, and VPN software are recommended to protect your information.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users