Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Routers on the same network?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

I am currently with BT (Those in the UK will know who this is). We connect to the internet via a telephone line on ADSL.

I am convinced there are issues with the router as it keeps dropping connections on wireless (and BT say the line is fine). So I was wondering if it would be possible to plug a second router into the same telephone line ? We have more than one telephone point connections available, so could i simply plug in a filter, and then the router into a different telephone box?

If this is not possible, then we are currently using a BT business router, i have a spare BT Home Hub Router, could i plug the Home Hub Router in and replace the Business Hub, just to test if its working?

Either way, what details would i need from the current Router in order to get it to work, because i know that the router has a username and password stored in it ETC.

Thanks very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

What do you mean by dropping connections? Does this impact all other connected computers?

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yes, all wireless connections stop completely, wired connections are fine, its just wireless.

Also, sometimes the wireless fails to automatically assign IP addresses, i have checked all the DHCP settings on the router and its fine, its just the wireless that has all the issues, so i want to test with another Router.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

Any cellular phones lying around or other wireless devices?

#5 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

There are several wireless phones on the network too, i have definitely established that it is the wireless cutting out randomly.

I just need to know, what details i will need in order to plug in another Router.

Thanks.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

You will need to remove all wireless devices from within the vicinity of the router. Wireless devices such as cellular phones and cordless phones will cause issues that you are describing. They maybe trying to grab channels within your wireless network topology, and as such this will cause degraded wireless connectivity. And I doubt that having another router will solve this issue. I would limit the number of wireless devices that are around your house until the issue is resolved. Power off all phones and other wireless devices. If this solves the issue then consult your router's documentation and test the different channels.

You will also need to consult with BT to determine if it is possible to create a ad-hoc network using two routers.

#7 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have done this already. I have turned off all devices connected to the network, and just turned on one laptop, it cut off within an hour, i then tried another device and the same happened. I have already performed tests and im pretty certain already that it is the routers wireless.

I just want to remove the current router, and plug in a replacement router to see if it works without issues. But it is an BT Home Hub Router, what will i need to do this, is it simply inputting a username and password into the router settings to get it to work?

Thanks!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

You will need to contact BT about that, because I do not use BT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users