Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worried About Hackers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

I do online banking on this computer from time to time using Mozilla Firefox. I am worried that if a hacker takes over my laptop, s/he might be able to view my banking account or search history to find information. I want to permanently delete all firefox history, so even if a hacker uses some special tool he invented, he won't find anything in my browsing history.

This is what I do right now:

Run ccleaner, pure ra, and atf cleaner
Delete all prefetch files
Then, uninstall firefox using Revo uninstaller
Use tfc cleaner and reboot the computer
Use Revo Uninstallers "Evidence Remover"
Use Ccleaner's Drive Wiper using 7 passes
Finally defrag my harddrive and reinstall firefox.

Thanks in advance
Malware shall not pass!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Why not use a portable browser on a USB drive for all financial transactions. That way there is no trace of the activity on the laptop when you remove it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Interesting idea Animal. I never thought about that.

Is there any way to remove the traces of activity on my computer that is already there? I just did the method I posted earlier.
Malware shall not pass!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Unfortunately I'm not adept enough in software/OS's to say with any convincing certainty that that is sufficient to satisfy your concerns. Someone with more knowledge than I will need to answer that for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the idea about the flash drive!

Should I wait in this forum or get this topic moved by a moderator to a more appropriate forum?
Malware shall not pass!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

This one is fine. I'll see if I can 'shake the bushes' and get more eyes on this for you.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hi Pizza and Pepsi,

personally, if I were worried, I would simply use a linux live-cd to make your financial transactions and then reboot into your normal windows once you're done. That way no information is stored (permanently) on your hard drive to begin with and you do not have to worry about how to securely delete it. You can also make a bootable USB stick, whcih would have the advantage that you can save your settings on it and therefore would only need to configure your wifi connection once.
You will still be able to save things to your windows hard drive if need be, by mounting the hard drive explicitely. But by default nothing is stored on your hard drive.

You can, of course, also do this with a Windows Live-CD. Using a Linux live-cd would just be an added security because there's few to no malware for linux and you couldn't get infected while running from the CD.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#8 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the ideas!

My other question was whether the process I followed in the first post should remove ALL traces of financial history and bank websites visited that has already collected?
Malware shall not pass!

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,774 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

it should, I think. Yes. I would say running multiple temp-cleaners is overkill. Choose between CCLiner, ATF Cleaner, PureRa and TFC and stick with one.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

My method was to use a cheap notebook for Online banking, online Bill paying, Online shopping (only on major sites).

No Email no Browsing on teh internet. Turn on do the work and turn off. Different computer for email and Internet use.

A Netbook would work too I just wanted a bigger screen.

As given above a Linux Live CD would also work and be cheaper. I just wanted to be able to store financial favorites and confirmation pages.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,774 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

the nice thing about a bootable usb flash drive with ubuntu installed on it, is that you would be able to create a "personal folder" file of a size of your choice to save data on. With the ubuntu install taking less than a 1GB of space, you usually have plenty of room to store files on.

regards myrti

#12 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yes, I think the bootable flashdrive idea would work the best for me. Thanks for all the help!

I do have a question though: Is https much more secure than http? Or would a knowledgeable hacker know how to steal information still?

Of course, thanks to all the help everybody provided, I don't have to worry about identity theft anymore!
Malware shall not pass!

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Here is a great comprehensive explanation of the difference between http and https: http://www.slideshare.net/simplyharshad/http-vs-https

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Animal. I am always looking for ways to increase my knowledge, and this article seems like a great read!
Malware shall not pass!

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

They explained it much better than I could. Glad you found value in it as well. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users