Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with browsers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone had a problem with their browsers on the Amazon.com site? I've tried, FF, Chromium, and a couple of the lesser browsers, and I keep getting the same error message. Update your flash player. Done, Adobe says I have what Amazon says I need and I still cannot watch, on my paid Prime membership account, any of my videos on Amazon. Anyone else having this problem? Also, has anyone noticed, you cannot find a contact Amazon link on their help pages?

Cast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Used my hubby's MS machine and I was able to find a contact button for Amazon. I called them, and the person I spoke to knew what my problem is, and has the same problem on her Linux machine. At this time, no known solution, problem is in the techs hands. I will receive an email when a solution is found. Great. Would anyone care to bet this problem will not be fixed, until the end of my Prime subscription is up, in October?

Cast

#3 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Update on this issue...From Amazon, it is a DRM issue and all browsers are affected. DRM = Digital Rights Management. I've no idea how to deal with this. I buy my online material to view through Amazon online.

Cast

#4 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

Deeper item...Adobe Cache is holding old DRM packet and needs to be uninstalled, (ripped out slammed to the floor and stomped on)m the replaced iwth the new on that just came out.

OKAY!

How do I do this? Details please.

Cast

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

AFAIK you'll not be able to get Amazon videos to stream to linux. I'm not absolutely sure about that because I haven't tried it. But I was searching information on other things a few days ago and ran across some things that stated it didn't work.

Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to notice if there were plans for it or not. I only saw a couple of threads on other sites stating that was the case.

#6 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

AFAIK you'll not be able to get Amazon videos to stream to linux. I'm not absolutely sure about that because I haven't tried it. But I was searching information on other things a few days ago and ran across some things that stated it didn't work.

Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to notice if there were plans for it or not. I only saw a couple of threads on other sites stating that was the case.

Yes it does work. I can stream most of the videos I bought on Amazon Prime, just not all of them. I don't download from Amazon, I just stream. This is a new problem that has cropped up in the past month. I've watched my videos on Amazon for over a year until recently. The only answers I get is that it is something dealing with Adobe Flash Player and here is the kicker to that, I can get on my hubby's Microsoft machine and watch the videos I can not watch on my Linux machine, with no problems. I do believe the problem is with Adobe being @$$&90$# and not allowing a Linux machines to get good downloads of their Flash Player.

I think you might be thinking about NetFlix. You cannot stream from Netflix to Linux.

Cast

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

There was an Adobe update tonight -- don't know if that helps. So, if you haven't tried recently, give it another go.

Good luck!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

This is what has worked for most to be able to view Amazon's streaming videos.

sudo apt-get install libhal1
sudo apt-get install hal

You can follow the discussion on Amazon's forum. Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Instant Video Player update breaks rights
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Okay i uninstalled and reinstalled, and did what buddy suggested. Everything, is now working. Thank you. I am now able to watch all my purchased videos on Amazon. You Tube works fine as well, watch documentary site works also, and I can even go to Hulu and watch Eureka.

Cast

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,409 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Good for you...

When looking at what was posted at that forum I noticed that some Linux users such as Fedora users,
will have to use a slightly different solution. If they are using Fedora 16 or 17 then they will need to fetch
the hal software from Fedora 15 repositories.

Ubuntu and its many spinoffs can use those commands to get Adobe flash to work.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

That was one very angering situation. It did not help my attitude any when I kept running into problems trying the "fixes" presented by the site techs that made my eyes cross, then those fixes seemed to make the situation worse. What did help was connecting with site techs that understood the problem and presented the same solution that came from here, After buddy215's input.

Thanks Again buddy215.

Cast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users