Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win64/Sirefef.B

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shoppedude

shoppedude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

My wife's laptop - running 64 bit Vista - appears to be infected with the Win64/Sirefef.B rootkit. The biggest issue right now is that whenever you logon to the computer, a pop-up box appears saying that a Critical Error has been detected and the computer will reboot in one minute. And it does. It exhibits the same behavior when booting into Safe Mode, as well.

I've downloaded and executed the Kapersky boot disc and the MSE boot disk, both to no avail. Neither one, at this point, reports having found anything. However, after running MSE, on the first reboot only, Windows MSE runtime will find and report the Win64/Sirefef.B infection. However, because the computer reboots, MSE is unable to take any action against the infection.

Help?

Thanks,
Lee

PS - Since the computer reboots within one minute, I am unaware of how I can generate the log files as requested.

Edited by shoppedude, 20 June 2012 - 01:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aaflac

Aaflac

Doin' Dis 'n Dat...

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Welcome to the forum, shoppedude!

See if you can do the following in the short span you have available...

Do you have the Repair your computer option in the Advanced Boot Options menu?

To find out:
Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
  • Is the Repair your computer option listed?
If you do not have the option above, do you have a Windows Vista installation CD/DVD available, or, access to another Windows Vista Computer?

And last, do you have a USB flash drive available?

Edited by Aaflac, 20 June 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Old duck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users