Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Interfaces

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

hello, I'm looking to get a new HD and I want some help with the different interfaces. I currently have one HD on the Primary master IDE channel and that drive interface is listed as Ultra-ATA/100. I have the slave on IDE 0 open, which is where I plan on putting the new HD, one of those big 320GB WD Caviars. I dont know much about SATA drives though and whether I am able to use one or even if I should bother.

I'm not worried about RAID configurations for backup, but I would like the drive to have fast access times since it is so big and I plan on using it for digital video. Is SATA 150 much faster than Ultra-ATA/100?

Also does anyone know the differences btwn the different models? Some of them seem like the only difference is the price, but on closer inspection the warranty is longer so I guess the quality is supposed to be higher?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:11 AM

Ultra-ATA/100 has a transfer rate of 100MB/s while SATA150 has a transfer rate of 150MB/s. Now in harddrives this is irrelevant since the fastest harddrives you'll find can do no more than 70MB/s.

Yes there are big differences between models, in how reliable they are and how fast they perform in different tasks. Best way to find what you're looking for is to head over to something like AnandTech and look at they're storage reviews.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:52 AM

ok that is interesting, so what is the advantage to SATA over IDE? is there any? or is it just a different option.

ill check out AnandTech and see what they say too. thx

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

Here is an article you may find helpful... http://ezinearticles.com/?ATA-vs-SATA&id=8599
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users