Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to update Malwarebytes on an infected PC without Internet ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NdotA

NdotA

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hello,

currently I am fighting an infection by the smart hdd malware on my PC following the self help instructions on this site.

My wlan-manager seems not to work in the safe mode and so I have no Internet connection on the infected computer. I downloaded Malwarebytes to an USB-stick and ran the setup from there. Without Internet connection, Malwarebytes could not update and I could only run the version as downloaded, which i got informed is 76 days old.

Malwarebytes - as rrkill before - did not find any infection as yet. Could this be because Malwarebytes was not updated ? If so, how can I bring the update information onto the infected computer ?

Thanks for your support.

Norbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

There is one but for corprate solution

Edited by ranget, 20 June 2012 - 06:10 AM.

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#3 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hi,

Check this out. :)

Regards,
Georgi

cXfZ4wS.png

#4 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

That was a fast one!

Thanks Georgi,

That was what I was looking for. I will start a new scan presently, hopefully with a better result.

Norbert

#5 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hi Norbert,

I suggest you that you visit the following topic: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help if the problems continues... :)

Regards,
Georgi

cXfZ4wS.png

#6 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

I will be doing just that. Just reading through sme posts of people that had the same trouble.
Will be some time for the scans take an awful long time, so I let them run over night. And tomrrow is my wife's birthday, no computering then.

Looking forward to your support but in great hope I would not need it.

Norbert

#7 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Made some progress - but I do not now how to rate it.

I restarted my computer in safe mode and received the option to continue in save mode or return the system to a earlier recovery point (I do not know the proper English name of this as I use the German Windows version). So I selected a recovery point a little before desaster had hit me - and this went fine. Apparenly the system is as before the nfection and - as far as I could test up to now - works fine.

This leaves me somewhat in doubt if this was really all that I will see about this or if this malware is just lurking somewhere ready to hit again.

I downloaded and updated Malwarebyte on the formerly (?) infected computer and run MalWarebyte again. It is currently running - I am writing this from another computer - and will do so for a couple of hours. But the search is beyond the section of c:/documents and settings allready where I learned this smart hdd-thing is expected to reside without finding anything.

Am I through with it or should I act as detailed in the Preparation Guide and start a new call-for-help-thread ?

Norbert

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I selected a recovery point a little before desaster had hit me - and this went fine. Apparenly the system is as before the nfection and - as far as I could test up to now - works fine.

This leaves me somewhat in doubt if this was really all that I will see about this or if this malware is just lurking somewhere ready to hit again.

Sometimes this method of recovery works but other times it may not since System Restore was not designed to be a virus or malware removal tool. Whether it will be successful depends on what type of infection you are dealing with, what damage the malware has already caused, whether it disabled System Restore and if not, what is restored during the process.

This is what mvps.org has to say:
Can I use System Restore to remove virus or malware infection?

NO. System Restore was not designed to be a virus or spyware removal tool and should not be depended on.

Am I through with it or should I act as detailed in the Preparation Guide and start a new call-for-help-thread ?

That's entirely up to you....although it couldn't hurt as a precaution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users