Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win64/Sirefef.y sirefef.w sirefef.b present. Laptop keeps rebooting every 1 minute

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 nokidgr

nokidgr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Hello,

i post my problem here as it seems the only place where i've found people who actually know what they're talking about. I have a Sony Vaio Laptop running windows 7 64 bit infected with the sirefef virus. Microsoft security essentials shows that it found:

Trojan: Win64/Sirefef
Trojan: Win64/Sirefef.Y
Virus: Win64/Sirefef.B
Trojan: Win64/Sirefef.Z
Trojan: Win64/Sirefef.W

Every time i boot the computer, MSE finds these infections, and prompts me after a minute to restart in order to complete the removal. But every time it reboots, the message is still there. I tried installing Malwarebytes but it won't let me cause it says "access denied" or something like that. Sorry for not providing any more information but i can use my pc for a couple of minutes every time (cause it reboots automatically). I followed your instructions and scanned with DDS. I attach the attach.txt file it generated. I look forward to hearing from you as i really need the laptop for my university studies and i'm in the middle of the exams period. Thank you for your time!

P.S. If i restore my whole system to factory settings, is the problem going to persist? Cause if it's not, i will do it in a heartbeat. Only problem is that i am afraid of infecting my external hard drive (which would be already infected if the virus spreads to external devices). Would that be the case? Will i need to clean my external HDD too?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hello and welcome. Please follow these guidelines while we work on your PC:
  • Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until Iíve given you the ďAll clear.Ē Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
  • Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
  • Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within five days this thread will be closed.
Posted Image Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list]

Threads are closed after 5 days of inactivity.

ASAP & UNITE Member

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Bleeping *^#@%~

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Threads are closed after 5 days of inactivity.

ASAP & UNITE Member

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users