Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues Streaming

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Starting sometime last week I've been having MAJOR issues with streaming online. For instance, when trying to watch a youtube video or using Pandora, I get a stuttering effect or echos. My computer is older (6...7 years), and it has slowed down over time. Usually my computer takes a bit longer to load content, but then can stream it ok once it got going.

My question is, how can I diagnose what's wrong? My guess would be that I'm running out of memory or something like that. I've done a virus scan with Malwarebytes and Norton, but nothing came up. Has tecnology simply passed me by and it's finally time for a new computer?

Any help in figuring out what's going on and fixing it would be really appreciated. If it helps, I'm on a Dell with Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3, Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, and 2.00 GB of RAM.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have a very similar machine which has no problem at youtube. Have you tested your internet speed ?

#3 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I've tested the internet speed with speedtest.net. I consistently get results around 10-13 Mps for download and 1.2 Mps for upload.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

speed is great. have you installed any new software ? you could try temporarily shutting down programs that start when windows starts using run -> msconfig -> startup tab and uncheck unnecessary programs. reboot. any better ?

Try a different video card if you have one available.

#5 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Only one video card, so that's not an option. I see what you mean by the msconfig going, but I don't know what I need and what I could do without. There's only 8 programs running there anyway. The only program updates I can think of are that Norton updated itself and Windows went through an update.

I don't know if it helps, but Netflix is 100% not effected by the issues I'm expereiencing with Pandora and Youtube. Do they operate with different programs or something?

Thanks

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

Netflix uses Silverlight and the others use Flash.

#7 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Frankp316, I did a little looking around, and it appears that the last update of flash is causing some issues. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash and then turned off the hardware acceleration. The problem is a tiny bit better, but still there. The audio stutter is down from every second to every 3 seconds. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot / fix Flash?

#8 Ross TPO

Ross TPO

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've got exactly the same problem. I was actually just coming on to post for some help as well.

The only thing that I can think that I have done recently is updated Flash - it periodically asks me to update and I just accept. I wonder if there is anyway of undoing the last update to check whether that is the problem?

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

There was a Flash update a few weeks ago that really screwed things up and Adobe has been releasing updates every couple of weeks ago to fix it. They have yet to be successful. Not sure anything can be done.

#10 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Is there any work around while Adobe figures things out? Should I try downloading an older version of Flash? If so, what version should I try?

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't think so. It you try an older version of Flash, it might not work at all.

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

do you have a restore point before the flash update ? I just installed a new flash update and have no issues.

#13 OpenWaterEric

OpenWaterEric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

No, it looks like my system restore was turned off....not sure why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users