Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is Wikipedia Opening Halfway Down the Page?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Starting a few days ago, whenever I open Wikipedia on my home laptop it opens half-way down the page. I have to scroll back to the top. This doesn't happen on my office computer. Any thoughts on why this suddenly started happending on my home computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Cleared your browser cache and cookies?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

No I have not. Would that matter?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

I noticed the same thing yesterday at Wikipedia. I have my computer set up to delete cookies each time I boot up and when I returned to Wikipedia later in the day, it was back to normal. So Animal's suggestion to clear your cookies is exactly what you should do.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

I did so this morning before I left. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks!

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Do you have any ad blockers installed? I've seen this problem occur due to Ad Block Plus blocking the top "donate" ad on Wikipedia. For whatever reason, it messes the layout up at times.

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Cleared the cache, the cookie, and no ad blockers installed and it's still opening halfway down the page.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried a different browser? You don't mention which browser you're seeing this anomaly with.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm using Firefox v 13.0.1. I tried opening Wikipedia in IE and it opened correctly so it's a Firefox issue?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Try Firefox without any extensions. My guess since it's just Firefox that there is a wonky extension causing this. Could also be a corrupted silent update. If it still happens without extensions. Uninstall then reinstall the latest Firefox. Make sure you restart your computer in-between.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

So there is a reset Firefox option that resets Firefox to factory settings while saving bookmarks, etc. It resets extensions to original setting. Sounds like a winner. But, what are extensions? What will I be losing?

Thanks. Very much.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Mozilla can do a far better explanation of add-ons and extensions than I. Take a look here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Sounds like reset Firefox is the way to go. I only have six extensions:

HP Smart Web Printing;
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant;
Move Media Player;
Norton Toolbar2011.7.9.4;
RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin;
Symantec Intrusion Prevention

Then there is a whole list of "Important Modified Preferences."

If I reset and lose the extensions and preferences will that be a big deal?

Thank you.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

I can't answer that. Whats a 'big deal' to you and whats a big deal to me likely isn't even close to the same thing. You'll have to decide whats worth the hassle to fix one website rendering issue. I don't use Firefox so I'm not well versed in how to troubleshoot that browser and play with profiles, addons and extensions. I know enough to know what to look for and test to identify causes for some problems.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#15 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks, Animal, for your time and help. It is appreciated. I think I'll mull this over before resetting everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users