Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inspiron 530 won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chitown74

chitown74

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've got a little problem today with my Inspiron 530 desktop. I went to turn on the computer by pressing the power button on the front and nothing happened. I looked at the back of the computer to make sure it was properly plugged in and there was no power light on in the back. I unplugged the machine, reset the surge outlet and plugged the cord back into the computer. The green light on the back near the power cord came on (steady green light) but it still will not power on using the front power button. No fan, no lights in front, nothing. Everything was working properly the day/night before. One issue I did notice a few days ago was while going to turn off the computer I accidentally clicked on "sleep" instead of "shut down". Instead of actually sending the computer into sleep mode the computer powered down. It started up fine a few hours later after shutting itself off. I have been having issues getting the computer to come out of sleep mode in the past month or so. It's past it's warranty and about 3 years old. Any ideas?

Mod Edit: I have moved this to the Internal hardware forum since it appears to be hardware related rather than a Windows Vista Problem - Roger.

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2012 - 12:34 PM.
Minor edit - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Could be the power supply

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Id bet money on the power supply. I have replaced quite a few recently in that and several similar models.

#4 chitown74

chitown74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I've still got a solid green LED on the back of the computer near the power cable and I did take the cover off while it was plugged in last night and noticed the "amber" light on the motherboard. I've read about that light but can't seem to find a definite answer as to what the problem could be. Some people have said it's a bad power supply while others say it's a bad motherboard. Is it normal to have that light on or is that an indication of major problems? I tried removing the small battery on the motherboard but I couldn't get it out. Could that be a problem? would a dead battery prevent the computer from turning on?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi, When you push the power button on the front of the case does it light up?

It should light up blue. Any other color is a indication of a problem. A dead CMOS battery should not prevent it from turning on. It will prevent it from holding the date and time and probably trigger a warning that the battery needs to be replaced.

Take a look at these sections, Power lights especially, it may help. This is the Dell diagnostics page for your model.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm

Troubleshooting Tools

Dell™ Inspiron™ 530 Series Owner's Manual

Power Lights

Beep Codes

System Messages

Dell Diagnostics

Drivers

Troubleshooting Software and Hardware Problems in the Microsoft Windows® XP and Windows Vista® Operating System

Restoring Your Operating System

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

The easiest troubleshooting step is to replace the power supply. Either it will work or it won't (I'm betting it will). Just be sure to purchase it from a retailer who will accept returns.

#7 chitown74

chitown74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Roger, no lights at all when you press the front button. No lights, no beeps, no fan activity, nothing. The only lights are on the back near the power cord and on the motherboard.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi Allan

That is a easy test and could quite easily fix it. I keep a 500Watt spare power supply with 20+4 plug and plenty of both drive type power plugs on it. I also keep a dual molex to PCI-e adapter cable just in case.

Where I work if you buy something and do not open it full refund for 7 days, opened = 20% restock fee if in original packaging for 7 days. DOA gets replaced not refunded for 90 days. Things that can be used up are not returnable. Such as Batteries, Books or magazines or videos. we learned based on experience.

Best Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 chitown74

chitown74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

If it is a power supply problem and it needs to be replaced what should I look for when buying a new one? Does it matter what wattage I should get? I have no clue as to what kind I should buy...

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

There should be a label on the side of the old Power supply giving the wattage. I find the print to be very small and use a magnifying glass.

If you've never changed a power supply before I suggest taking a photo of where all the wires go or making a detailed drawing.

You don't want to go lower than the current supply but there is no need to go way over either.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 chitown74

chitown74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Got a new power supply and everything worked perfectly! Thanks so much for all your help!

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I am glad to hear it all worked out!

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Got a new power supply and everything worked perfectly! Thanks so much for all your help!

Good. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users