Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite will not turn on?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MsCDawg

MsCDawg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5109 Model PSK2LU-02800C. Last week it started acting up, when I would power on and it would load the log in to windows screen, Id click my user enter the password and press enter and nothing would happen. I attempted to click the arrow to send my password in but that wouldnt work either. Eventually I just restarted (a couple of times) and eventually I got in.
Last Friday I put into hibernation instead of shutting down and when I go to use again it will not come on. On the front I have 6 LED lights (charging led, power on led, battery led, hard drive led, questionable led looks like a sheet of paper, and then a wireless led). When I am trying to repower, the Charging, Power and battery LED lights are all lit up and randomly the hard drive led will also light up.
I needed info from the hard drive,s o I went ahead and took it out of the laptop and plugged in to a desktop. Upon starting windows I got a screen telling me that the memory had been changed since I set the hard drive to hibernate, and I should either get back to the previous state or i could click ok to continue with a restart. So I continued with a restart (I cant get the state back the same as I can not get the hard drive to turn on in the other computer). Windows boots fine. How is my hard drive staying in hibernation mode with all forms of power being unplugged?
I reinserted the hd into the toshiba with same result (same LEDS light up, screen stays black).
When I first turn on the NUM LOCK flashes for a quick second, it will attempt to read/boot from the CD, and the HD led will randomly light. Is this likely an issue from bad memory or a bad motherboard? I took apart the entire laptop and checked the fan/cpu and everything looks fine with it. I am clueless as to what I should try for a fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi

You hibernated to the hard drive. In that state it could be disconnected and still want to resume at the next power on.

The basic troubleshooting for this model is that at this point with the three lights you mention being lit, that you should plug in an external monitor. Turn on the computer, it will recognize the external monitor and use it for the display.

If you have a display, that is a good thing. If still no display then My next step would be to take out both memory chips, Little door on the bottom. Do not force them out, release the clips on each side first.
Then try and see if you get video with one memory chip. If not pull chip one and put in chip two and test again.

Report Back
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 June 2012 - 01:59 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MsCDawg

MsCDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Abt the hard drive still hibernating; numerous times i had turned on and off by holding the power button until only the charging and battery leds were lit.
Attempted 5 starts with mentioned method (i have 2 mem sticks and slots) each with the exact same result. First attempt; stick 1 in slot 1. Attempt 2; stick 1 in slot 2. Attempt 3; stick 2 slot 1. Attempt 4; stick 2 slot 2. Attempt 5; no memory
Results for each attempt the same. Unplug battery and power cord, remove/replace memory, replace battery and power cord, press power button; immediately num lock led will flash on and right off as well as the led on the caps lock key, i can hear cd drive run, then i can hear/feel the hard drive running,press fn and f5 keys to change display and other display shows no connection.
im stumped.

#4 MsCDawg

MsCDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Before the 5 attempts above i also just tried the external monitor with both mem sticks still in with same result. So 6 attempts would have been the proper reply.

And thank you for the advice/attempt to help me. :)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

It is sounding more and more like the motherboard. Let me think on it and see if anybody else has any ideas too.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 MsCDawg

MsCDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thank you. I was thinking the board or the processor. I guess its time to repair the old one and sit on thos one for a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users