Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 9

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Been having trouble with updates that keep showing up as needed and an update for IE9 that fails saying I have a more current version of IE9 on my pc.

I have been trying all kinds of fix it tools for the updates with no success so I am trying to uninstall IE9 and try the update again. The problem is I cannot find IE9 in the list of installed updates so I am unable to install it.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295

Tekken

#3 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thank you for the reply and the link. I have tried both the fix it and the fix it myself options for uninstalling IE9 and neither worked.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

I have been trying all kinds of fix it tools for the updates with no success so I am trying to uninstall IE9 and try the update again. The problem is I cannot find IE9 in the list of installed updates so I am unable to install it.

IE9 will be listed in Control Panel - Programes and Features. Click on the top link View installed updates now if it its listed alphabetically just click on the Name bar and it should say Windows Internet Explorer 9 just select and click on Uninstall. Or you can start typing in internet in the search box and it will show.

Now I've been having problems with IE8 not responding only on one web site. I've done a search in here but most threads are a couple of years old and with no real solution. So a month ago I decided to reinstall IE8 but it said the same as you saying I have a more current version of IE8 on my pc, which I didn't so I uninstalled it from Programes and Features and reinstalled it again just in case something had gotten corrupted.

The same site some times stops responding now another site stopped last night. Now don't tell me to use FireFox as IE8 has always worked on my computers for years.

I've done a full Avast virus scan and Malwarebytes scan and nothing shows.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I will try to type it in the search box as I do not see it in view installed updates anywhere. I have not had any problems using IE9 I am just trying to reinstall it to see if it will allow me to install the update for it that keeps showing up along with 5 others in windows update.

Thanks again for the input.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295

Did you try this command given here

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

If this doesnt work,you cannot rollback to previous version

#7 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

yes i tried that command.

Not sure why I can't roll back but more importantly not sure that what I am trying to do is going to resolve the issue with the updates that continue show up as ready to install.

I have tried the fix it tools for common update issues, resetting update components, manually installing the updates that keep showing up.....

It has to be those particular updates because others show up and install but don't repeat like the 6 in question. Most confusing is why ie9 shows up when I already have it on my pc and it fails everytime with error code 9c48 or a message that i already have a more current version of ie9 on my pc...

Honestly, I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it but I am desperate to find some progress with the issue with the repeating updates

Edited by 4on4off, 20 June 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#8 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,427 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi 4on4off,

The problem is I cannot find IE9 in the list of installed updates so I am unable to install it.

Click on Help in the menu bar then click on About Internet Explorer. Please post which IE is displayed and the version #.

Next,

Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates and click on Installed Updates in the lower left corner under See also. Once the list populates, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section and search for which version of Windows Internet Explorer is displayed in the list.

Not sure why I can't roll back

Can't roll back if it is not listed in Installed Updates because it was not installed. I'm thinking corrupt installation, file corruption, etc.

Let's try this as well to cover all the bases:

• Open an elevated command prompt by right clicking on the command prompt and choosing Run as administrator.
  • In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Please note the space between sfc /. <--Very Important
  • This may take a little bit of time to finish so your patience will be needed.
  • When the scan is complete, open another elevated command prompt and type, or copy and paste sfcdetails.txt and press Enter. This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG in it.
  • Please copy and paste the results in your next reply.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#9 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Click on Help in the menu bar then click on About Internet Explorer. Please post which IE is displayed and the version #.

IE9 is displayed. Version # 9.0.8112.16421

Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates and click on Installed Updates in the lower left corner under See also. Once the list populates, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section and search for which version of Windows Internet Explorer is displayed in the list.

I check for it but there is no "Microsoft Windows" section. There is Microsoft .net, office, c++ etc.. but no Microsoft Windows section. I have scoured all of them and I do not see IE9. There is a chance that when I downloaded the IE9 originally when it first came out I uninstlled IE8 but I cannot be sure.

Open an elevated command prompt by right clicking on the command prompt and choosing Run as administrator.

I can open a command prompt but I can't find the command prompt in my accessories for some reason so I am unable to right click and run as admin.

#10 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,427 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Click on Start orb and in the Start Search box type in cmd and then right click on the Command Prompt box, that should be displayed in the list, and choose Run as Administrator

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#11 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

I click on the orb and click search, I enter cmd and it finds nothing.

If I click run or hit the windows key + r and enter cmd the black window opens up but right clicking on it give no options for run as admin.

Also, this should be located in system32 folder as cmd.exe, correct? It is not there from what I can see.

Strange as I can open the command prompt but can't seem to find its location.

#12 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,427 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

4on4off,

Did you ever get an all clear from the threads you started here and here? If there is even a hint of file corruption due to infection we are truly wasting our time trouble shooting. Just because a couple scans do not show infection does not necessarily mean you are clean. The newer infections are designed to hide themselves and without deeper scans with the guidance of an expert they will not be found.

I would like to suggest that you be patient and let one of the experts in the removal forum verify that you are not infected before we continue. The other alternative would be to perform a reformat.

Please let us know your decision.

Edited by DonnaB, 20 June 2012 - 03:17 PM.

A cat named ugly

#13 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

No, the windows update thread was closed and started anew as the possible infection thread because cryptodan wanted to run some malware tools. After following his instructions with the malware tools he stopped responding at some point. I bumped the thread a few times hoping for a response from him but one never came.

I gave it some time and searched around for solutions but have exhausted all that I have come across on the repeating updates so I started this thread inquiring about the IE9 uninstall.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry about the confusion...thanks to DonnaB for being on the ball and bringing this to our attention :thumbsup: .

Please post to your open AII topic which was opened at Cryptodan's urging. I have added it to "No Help, After 3 Days" topic and someone should be picking it up soon.

Pending resolution of that topic, I will close this topic. If this topic needs reopening post closure of the AII topic, one of the Mods will reopen it.

If you have any questions, please contact me via PM.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users