Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove This Operating System

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aqw

aqw

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

In 2002 I built my own computer. An Authentic AMD 384.0MB. To this I added a 30gig hard drive, and Windows ME, the full version. There was a problem with the OS system I bought, so Microsoft sent me a replacement.

When I found out that Microsoft would no longer support ME, I got XP.

My ME would not allow me to upgrade to XP, now I have a full XP and ME on my computer. I have tried to get ME removed, but it is not listed in the add/remove tab of the control panel, nor can I get it off using command prompt as suggested in Microsoft documents.
At command prompt, when I type: uninstal.exe I get invalid file or path.

I tried to contact Microsoft and explain the problem, All I get is we no longer support Windows Me.

Everytime I restart the computer, it ask me to choose an OS, if I choose ME, it is unstable.

Can anyone rid me of this god awful thing?

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

Do you feel like reinstalling XP?? If so just format the drive using a boot disk with formatting software on it. Just backup all your data in XP to a DVD or CD it shouldnt take to many disks to do this as you only have 30 Gb of HDD space. Any other ideas or a program like I mentioned above as Im in the middle of a brain fart??

Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

Is ME on the primary partition or the second partitions?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

Am not sure where ME is anymore.
What's your suggestion?

#5 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

You can't uninstall Windows the way you'd uninstall any other software.

My ME would not allow me to upgrade to XP, now I have a full XP and ME on my computer.

This sounds a little confusing to me, have you installed or not Windows XP in your computer? If ME didn't allow you to upgrade (what is the error message?), but you managed to install XP; depending on your installation choices, ME has disappeared or is reduced to a folder in your hard drive, in any case, you don't have to worry about it. Unless you have a multi-boot installation, which I doubt it.

If you haven't installed XP yet, then you could try booting from your installation disk and start the installation without changing partitions or file system to preserve your documents, or wipe the disk entirely if you have made a backup already.

#6 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

I don't remember the exact error message, something about a '1386" file. When I attempted to install XP , it gives you the option of upgrading or full install, the error message came up and it did not allow the upgrade option only full install, ( recommended).

When I restart my computer, I am given the option of which operating system to use, XP or ME, if I use ME. the screen shimmers, and wabbles, but it is not in safe mode.
Yes I did install XP, and I am using it.

I should note that the ME that Microsoft sent me had all the dire warnings on the disk, i.e. "unlicensed software-illegial without separate license from Microsoft", and "not for retail or OEM distribution". This leads me to believe that it was one of their 'working' disk, not meant to be uninstalled.

#7 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

To: Acklan,

You mentioned in another post to "ME to XP", cleaning the harddrive with Quick Wipe, It sounds like something I might consider, if I had a walkthru.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

I recommend you use Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility to Wipe the drive. This is time consuming. Overnight at best. You will need to format your drive afterwards. XP should format the drive during the installation. When it asks which format select select NTSF.
You can download either verison of Active@KillDisk, the CD or run from a floppy. Your choice.

Edited by acklan, 06 March 2006 - 01:14 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

First let me say, I have been very rude to all that answered /assisted me. I have not said THANK YOU for you assistance. Thank you. Please chalk it up to my being twitipated with this computer :thumbsup:

I have downloaded and burned KILLDisk, and printed the manual, and will spend the next hours reading it.

I do have one question re the reinstilation of XP. (if anyone knows the answer). Will I have to contact Microsoft re my product key, as that information will not be recognized? Just thought I will ask.
Ann

#10 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

agw: Windows ME is no more installed in your computer. Run MSCONFIG (Start - Run - MSCONFIG) click on BOOT.INI tab, click on the "Check all start paths" (I don't have an english Windows at hand, not sure of the name), and it'll appear a warning about a path is not existent, asking for confirmation to delete.

Or, you can open a command line window (Start - Run - CMD); and from there type "bootcfg /delete /ID#" where # is the number of the Operating System you want to remove from the list, if ME is the second option, then you must replace the # with a "2".

#11 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

Here's what I get when I run MSCONFIG:

Boot-Loader
Timeout=30
Default=C
Operating Systems
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)windows="Microsoft XP Home Edition"/fast detect/no execute=optIn
C:\Microsoft Millennium Edition

#12 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Also, a box poped up:
"It appears that all boot.ini ....for Microsoft Operating systems are OK.

...=I cant read my writing :thumbsup:

Edited by aqw, 06 March 2006 - 06:45 PM.

#13 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

Gee, I think I was wrong in my assumption of ME been already out of the picture. Perhaps it'd be better to entirely re-format the hard disk and make a fresh XP install.

Still, you could do the bootcfg thing to remove ME from the list, though it won't really remove it from your computer.

#14 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

I am back, and thank you all for your help. Boy, KillDisk is powerful, just the free version with one pass, did the job. Only problem with it, the instruction need to be more clear, other than that I like it.
I re formatted, partitioned, and reinstalled, and now I am back up and running with no problems., Thank You for all your help, if only Microsoft was as kind :thumbsup: with assistance as you.
Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users