Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Stop Error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#1 Application

Application

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Alright, new BSOD error on a laptop of mine!

Error is the following:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

Where to from here?

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2012 - 10:56 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi -
You do not mention if this is regular or just a one off BSOD - If you are posting from the problem PC it may be a simple problem.
First, it would not hurt to run a chkdsk /r from Start > Run box , and see if this clears / finds any problems and take it ftom there.

Also ensure that you are running a current version of your browser, and all M/soft updates are installed -

As always, please post back if any of these ideas do not help, since others will have more ideas -

Regards -
EDIT - Also worth reading if you know a bit about computers -

Edited by noknojon, 19 June 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#3 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I cannot get past the blue screen to login. I used chkdsk /r in the recovery console, but it did not solve the problem.

Also, I looked at the link you provided, but when I got to the step to enter "cd windows\system32\drivers" it told me that the system could not find the file or drive, so I was unable to continue.

What do I do?

#4 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Can anyone help me with this? I'm still stuck, and don't even know where to begin.

If not, please, let me know, so I can look for help elsewhere.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you are seeing a message like this:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

That indicates that the win32k.sys file has somehow become corrupted.

Please list the full maker and model and Operating System (32bit / 64bit) of computer if known -

Can you boot into Safe Mode at all ?? Try pressing / tapping F8 just as it looks like starting and tell me what happens -

Thank You -

#6 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

It's pretty old - a Dell Vostro 1000 running Windows Home XP, either SP2 or SP3, I'm not entirely sure. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice here. Pressing F8 repeatedly as the screen started to turn black (prior to the blue screen appearing) did not seem to do anything, but I can try again if you'd like. I can't boot into safe mode, unless I can do so somehow from my recovery disk. I'm pretty much dead in the water.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Please read this XP tutorial, linked below, on Safe Mode and see if it helps you to boot -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#winxo

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-error-c000021a-fatal-system-error/549075f8-f695-4047-b747-2b4e118e1ffd

#9 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Even by using the F8 method and hitting "Safe Mode", I can't get past the BSOD. "Last Known Good Configuration" gets me nowhere, either.

Do I have any options left?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#11 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Possibly a virus. I think it was a virus, then a blue screen error, then the current blue screen error. I tried to fix it over a year ago, probably made matters worse, shelved the laptop and bought a new one - now, the new one's got a cracked screen, so I'm hoping to get this one running again. Anyways, no new updates or installs outside of possibly a Windows update proceeded the problems. I think there was another blue screen error directly before the current one, but I can't be 100% sure.

Sorry, that's all I can tell you.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

See, that's the kind of thing you should mention in your first post. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum.

#13 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

I did post there. They sent me here.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Okay, so they've given you a "clean bill of health"? Did you go through ALL the information in the link I posted above (post 8)?

#15 Application

Application
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

No, I don't think they gave me a clean bill of health. I think they figured that it was, first and foremost, an operating system error, and they sent me here.

As far as your above post: the repair option on my recovery disk did not seem to help, I cannot boot in any safe mood, and I cannot use Last Known Good Configuration. Does that cover everything that post instructed me to do? Most of its instructions dealt with what to do after I was booted, but I can't get to the log-in screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users