Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Forwarding Causing Internet issues?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi. A few days ago, I was in a Skype call with a close friend of mine, and she wanted me to show her how to make a Minecraft server. And so I did. I showed her how to download the files, how to configure them, and most importantly how to port forward in order to allow inbound connections.

However, since we did that, she has been unable to do certain things on the internet. Namely, when she tries to play games on facebook, she gets an error about (I'm paraphrasing because I haven't seen the error myself) a proxy error and it says that she has an upstream server.

Now, I had her do exactly what I myself have done to set up her Minecraft server, and I have never experienced this problem. However, when she disables the port forwarding settings (actually, disabling them didn't help. She had to clear out the settings back to default.) the problem with FaceBook instantly resolves. :/

And i am left to sit here wondering how this is happening.

Port forwarding is intended to open ports to allow more connections, not block them. Right?

Anyone heard of this problem? It's driving me up a wall.

EDIT: I should probably mention, I only had her forward ports 25564 - 25566

Edited by jnk1296, 18 June 2012 - 06:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users