Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart failure predicted on hard disk 2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DNAnet

DNAnet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

I got the following message on my windows vista: smart failure predicted on hard disk 2 WDC WD2500BESVD-22-USTO-(S1). I am trying to not have to do a complete restore because I would like to get all of my pictures and videos and data off the hard drive if possible. Is there a way to do this? When I turn the computer on and hit F1 like it tells me, it gets stuck in a loop. System repair just runs and runs. Help please. I am very distraught over losing all my photos. Yes I know I should have backed it up. thanks

By the way, this is a gateway laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

What model system? Specifics are more helpful than just knowing it'a a Gateway laptop.

Go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Take a screenshot reflecting the data for all drives/partition and post/attach it in your next post.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#3 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

It is a gateway HDMI T-Series. Windows Vista 32 bit. Does that help? When I try to boot up the computer I cannot get to the start menu at all. Goes to black screen after it tells me to hit F1 to continue.

#4 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

On the bottom of the computer it says Model No W3501

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

You can try...removing the hard drive and attaching it to a second system. Then...try to move valued data files from bad drive to good drive or removeable media.

Louis

#6 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

You mean put it in another computer? Does it have to be the same type of computer? Before this happened the computer was making a clicking sound, forgot to mention that. thanks.

#7 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

When I turn on the computer, here is the message I am getting:

For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v1.02 (060529)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

And this is where it stays hung up.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

When I turn on the computer, here is the message I am getting:

For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v1.02 (060529)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

And this is where it stays hung up.

That's normally indicative of the fact that you need to replace your CMOS battery. As the battery weakens, your BIOS settings change without your wanting such...reverting to defaults at the Gateway factory.

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/replace-gateway-w350i-bios-battery/80022.html AND http://www.customerssuck.com/board/archive/index.php/t-78049.html

For the moment...I would disregard the issue you originally posted about, since a failing CMOS battery may also result in false error messages, IME. The CMOS controls how Windows reads/detects hardware components.

Louis

#9 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I had the IT department where I work look at my computer and they said it is a bad drive. They hooked it up to another computer and were not able to retrieve any data from it. I now have a new drive in my computer and am working to reinstall everything. However, I would still like to try to get my data off of the drive that failed. Is there anything else I can do or try at this point. thank you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm sure that your IT department is in a position to make a better assessment of the drive's status...and ways of attempting to recover files from it.

I'm somewhat confused...your title says "failure predicted" yet you say that nothing can be recovered by attaching to different system.

Is the drive capable of being used right now?

Louis

#11 DNAnet

DNAnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

Yes it says failure predicted, backup data immeditely. Yet I can't access any files. When IT took the drive out and put it into another computer they said they were not able to get anything off of it. So I am assuming it is not capable of being used. I just wanted to know if there are any last ditch attempts I can try. I am thinking about sending it away through Best Buy to see if they can get any data from it. Not sure what they will do differently than IT. Any ideas? thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users