Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning HDD and Repair Install XP Home Ed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I suspect this issue has been addressed before, but here goes anyway.

I am trying to clone a HDD from a Dell 5150 laptop (with XP Home Edition installed) to a HDD for installation on a Dell D600 laptop. I am doing this with xxClone and a SATA-to-USB interface cable. Cloning is not an issue (or it seems not to be).
After the cloning, I reinstalled the cloned HDD in to the D600 laptop and booted from the OEM Reinstallation CD (for XP Home Edition), and ran the Repair Install for XP Home Edition. When finished, it boots automatically and I get the BSOD with the 'Stop 0x0000007E.....fltmgr.sys.....' error.
Afterwards, I have tried the Recovery Console 'chkdsk/f and /r'. I then wiped the to-be-cloned HDD clean(Disk Management, etc....) and performed the same process again before I cloned the Dell 5150 HDD..no joy.

I tried the same process with Norton Gost 9 with the same results. I tried with EasUS ToDo and I get a message that a partition is required to store the temporary files (i abandoned that effort)

I can view all the transferred files on the cloned HDD (via the SATA-USB interface). I suspect this is a systems matachup issue that I don't understand fully.

When I finished xxCloning, I elected to make the cloned HDD bootable; perhaps that was ill-advised, since the Dell 5150 hardware/driver interfaces transferred to the cloned HDD would be quite different from the D600

Is it not possible to do what I want to do? Yes, I know, it would be 'swifter' to fresh reinstall and reinstall all the programs after moving all the data files, but I have a special reason for wanting to be successful doing it the way I proposed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Please see topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457347.html .

What I stated there...applies to any Dell system.

Louis

#3 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

the two systems have different hardwares spec. Check to see if you can boot into safemode, if you can try to un-install all of the drivers and reboot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

They not only have different hardware...they have different license keys issued by Dell. All Dell systems do not use the same key, with each being specific to that system and not being transferable.

Louis

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Safe Mode boot not an option. It never shows up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users