Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb Router/connection Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mandybojengles

mandybojengles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

:thumbsup: dumb question.. i have a lynksys router connected to my PC and its connected wireless to my laptop.. if i wanted to get rid of my desktop and get a mac instead --- could my laptop still be connected by the router -- even though its connected to a mac and it's a pc? does that make sense.. i hope so

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

It makes perfect sense. You router is not Operating system specific. It communictas with the Ethernet not with window MAC or Linux. You use TCP/IP to communicate with the computer/router/ internet. The computer translates the incoming data so that operating system can understand it.
Does that may sense? In short NO it does ot matter what OS you use for the router.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hello mandybojengles. Yes, you can connect any other computer to your router, as long as it fulfills the requirements, a compatible network adapter and TCP/IP protocol installed and configurated, without affecting your other computers.

When you get your new computer, just plug it in, if you find any problems, just ask, there always be someone willing to help in bleepingcomputer :thumbsup:

#4 mandybojengles

mandybojengles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

good! that's great! thanks guys

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow