Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kogan.com imposes 6.8% tax on IE7 users

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

Kogan.com, an Australian online store, has started to put a tax of 6.8% on its customers who are using Internet Explorer 7.

This is not for their concern of the customer's saferty (because they are using older browser and are vulnerable to various online threats). But they claim that coding the webpages to make them look nice in Internet Explorer 7 takes extra effort and time and this is why they are imposing a tax.

The question is whether it is legal or ethical to tax customers like this? Like many other online services they could have simply redirected users to a page with instructions to update the browser.

What you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Notice how they don't include a link to update IE. Makes one wonder...
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

private company, i think they have a right to charge whatever they want. I also have the right to shop elsewhere.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

^^What Patriot said. Besides how much does it cost them to ensure that their website will work on IE7, the hours of extra testing and coding for an outmoded and potentially insecure Browser?

I Wish more American companies would do this, but we pander to the lowest common denominator so we still run on Netscape. :P

Posted Image

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Since it's on Internet Explorer 7, why make the "tax" 6.8%? Why not an even 7%? <_<

And, since this money doesn't seem to be going to a government, I'd call it a "surcharge."

Edited by Capn Easy, 18 June 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

And, since this money doesn't seem to be going to a government, I'd call it a "surcharge."

"surcharge." Extortion is more like it. But then again as has been mentioned, everyone is free to shop elsewhere. So are they alienating a specific uninformed/stubborn consumer base just to make a point?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

I think this is a good idea. People should be doing updates or get a newer OS/computer or different browser(Firefox, Chrome etc). Good to see a site that penalizes people for failing to keep their computers updated.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 19 June 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

it may be a "good idea" but not a forced issue. IF I want to use outdated software on MY computer then I should have every right to, its MY computer, and I wont spend my money at any company that penalizes me for what I choose to load on MY computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I think this is a good idea. People should be doing updates or get a newer OS/computer or different browser(Firefox, Chrome etc). Good to see a site that penalizes people for failing to keep their computers updated.

If I shopped at a site that did that my business would be taken elsewhere.

That company would have WRONGLY assumed my browser was IE7 if I saw the "browser outdated" message.

In fact, some sites I go to on a regular basis actually told me my IE7 browser was out of date and to upgrade. All I wanted to do on one of the sites was look at their weekly sale ad. Could not do it using IE because it thought I was using IE7.

I was not. My computer is custom made. Windows 7 came with IE8 installed. I updated that to IE9.

IE7 has NEVER been on this computer and I've had it almost 2 years. Until approximately 3 months ago I never saw the outdated browser message.

My user agent string indicates the browser was IE9.

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

I played around with compatability view. Whether it was enabled or not made no difference.

Two weeks ago I resolved that issue. A clean install of Win7 was the cure. A bit drastic but it worked.

If this situation could happen to me it could also happen to other people.
And a greedy company will lose some customers.

As for new OS and new computers I'm sure they would gladly update if YOU pay for it. A lot of people cannot afford the big bucks Microsoft wants for an OS disk. A lot of them would like to have a new computer but cannot afford one. Silly things like food, rent or mortgage, power, water, gas, phone, dr. bills, new shoes for the children, vehicle insurance, etc. are things which HAVE to be paid for and in todays world there is often not enough left over for a few indulgences.

An alternate browser is a good thing to have. But a lot of people are set in their ways and don't want to use anything but IE. And some of them are not aware that alternate browsers exist.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 June 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

"surcharge." Extortion is more like it. But then again as has been mentioned, everyone is free to shop elsewhere. So are they alienating a specific uninformed/stubborn consumer base just to make a point?

I think they're hoping of alienating the uninformed tech-unsavy consumer and simutaneously pulling in a more tech-savy IT-crowd of outdated software (or just IE) haters. To be honest I can see this work. You get rid mostly of people that don't know a tablet from a brick and in exchange pull in a crowd that lives on gadgets and newest IT-toys, Exceptions are obviously present (eg mr patriot :wink:). But I can see a) how a sales rep sold the idea to management and c) (cause B) is just a smiley) why management went with it. It's certainly been a great publicity coup for them. I bet the story got covered by a bunch of news-agencies in Australia and everybody there has heared of them by now.. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 21 June 2012 - 03:15 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

The High Tech Redneck has a point - it is his computer and he can have on it what he wants. But Kogan have a point too. I run a couple of small web-sites for clubs I am involved with and when I set them up they were tested against IE7. As IE is not my default browser it was only recently that I discovered that they weren't displaying properly on IE8, the page heading artwork was out of alignment. So presumably, if I had set them up on IE8 they wouldn't display properly in IE7.

I am by no means having a pop at HTR. I have an old laptop, running XP, which is kept primarily because it is the only computer I have access to which will run some seriously old 16 bit software originally designed to run on Windows 3.x ! The authoring company went out of business before they even ported it to Win 95 ! Unhappily, it is circuit board designs which are still current for maintenance purposes.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I am the mistress of my own destiny..err computer...and i ain't payin ransom for anything!!
well maybe except for my dry cleanin... :hysterical:

Krogan has a right to charge, I have the right to say NO.

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 21 June 2012 - 11:16 AM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well, so far this has become a news in all the major newspapers of the world. They were also interviewed in the KPCC radio where one of the guys from Kogan.com said that they do not expect anyone to actually pay tax, but it will force them to update their browser. He also explained why it is 6.8%. Tax is calculated 0.1% for each month after IE7 was released for the first time ( total 68 months) = 6.8%. This indicates that this so called tax would keep increasing with time.

I still believe that this is a wrong and immoral approach. They could just redirect people to an update instructions page (may be put a youtube video on how to update).

PC Magazine seems to explain this tax very well :

This is lame, pretentious, and stupid for too many reasons to discuss.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405846,00.asp

#14 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

Its a bunch of BS!!

Thier site looks FINE IN IE6!!

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

Well that's the point, no?
They charge for the work that is put into making it look good ni IE6/IE7. So of course it looks good in IE6/7. Otherwise they'd absolutely no hand charging their customers.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users