Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter fails to pick up wireless networks

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mattbanfield

mattbanfield

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

Over the last two days, I've noticed that my laptop has been losing it's wi-fi connection. When I open the network connector, none of the local networks, including my own, appear in the list. I've checked that the network adapter is switched on (I've even switched it off for a few seconds and switched it back on), and I've refreshed the list multiple times to no avail. When I restart the computer, my wi-fi connection is restored, but after a few hours it drops again and I have to restart the computer to reconnect. I'd also note that it's most likely not a router or modem problem, as nothing else is losing wi-fi connection (xbox, cell phone, etc.)

Thinking it may have been the result of a virus, I've run a Malwarebytes Scan in Safe Mode. The Scan log is included at the bottom of this post. I thought this may have fixed the problem, but a few hours after restarting the computer, it happened again.

My computer is a TOSHIBA Satellite A305, running Windows Vista Home Premium. If there are any more specific details that you need, please let me know. I greatly appreciate any help I can get with this. As of right now, it's just a minor inconvenience, but I don't want it to end up being something that would shut me down completely.

Thanks!
Matt

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.06.17.07

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19088
Matt Banfield :: MATTBANFIELD-PC [administrator]

6/17/2012 7:34:53 PM
mbam-log-2012-06-17 (19-34-53).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 257525
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKCR\regfile\shell\open\command| (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Matt Banfield\AppData\Local\Temp\ATT-SST_Installer\Setup\MotiveClient\AXB.exe (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users