Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nick_w

nick_w

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:15 PM

hi when ever i reformat my comp i notice that all my programs in the program file folder are still there also i have a 80gig HD and half of it is still full after i reformat it how can i take this problem away and just have a fresh version of xp pro.

I have tryed to reformat the comp from start up and when the comp has booted up but this is what it says:

The following list shows the exisiting partions and unpartioned space on this computer.

Use UP and DWN arrow keys to select an item in the list.

*To set up windows xp on the selected item , press enter

*To create a partion in he unpartioned space press C

* To delete the selected partion press D

then it has this under it
__________________________________________________ ______________________
76317MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: partion1 [NTFS] 7609 <33850 MB Free>
Unpartioned space 8MB
__________________________________________________ ______________________
when i try to delete a partion e.g C: partion1 [NTFS] it doesnt let me and says

Set up is unable to preform the requested operation on the selected partion. Ths partion contains temporary set up files that are required to complete the instalation

* To continute press enter

i just what the comp back to the way it was and get rid of all the unknown files i still have on my comp that are taking up space and i havnt reformated my comp in ages so i what to staret from scratch again.

thanks for all the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

Did your 80Gig drive have partitions (virtual drives) set up on it originally?

What is the brand and model of the hard drive?

Most manufacturers have downloadable software you burn to a cd or floppy which will wipe the drive, allow you to repartition it and format it so you can reinstall your op system.

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:18 PM

you can choose to use killdisk (killdisk.com) to wipe out totally and revert it to one partition ( your choice) and reinstall the OS back....it is safer and more efficient this way...hope it helps. :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users