Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 norco1

norco1

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

My power button turns orange when I put the Dell Inspiron desktop in sleep mode. Is this correct or an indication of a hardware problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hello,

Yes I believe that is normal. Could you give me the full model number of the desktop just so I can find out for sure for you. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 norco1

norco1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply. As requested, model - Inspiron 620. Also, should I notice the power light change to orange from sleep timer setting of 30 minutes. As mentioned, I get the orange light with manually clicking sleep from start menu but don't see any light change with auto timer setting. Is the timer setting not kicking in? Please advise

#4 narins

narins

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

According to this Dell support article, a solid yellow [orange] light of the power button would indicate that the Dell Diagnostics is running a test or a device on the system board may be incorrectly installed or faulty. However, as orange light appears during system sleep, this seems normal to me - not noted in article above.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi,

To supplement narins' post, here is the Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620 User's Guide (PDF):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=inspiron%20620%20light%20codes&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CGwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.dell.com%2Fsupport%2Fedocs%2Fsystems%2Fopgx620%2Fen%2Fug%2Fpdf%2FN8071bk03.pdf&ei=GezhT5TcLqXl0gHY06HzAw&usg=AFQjCNH6y0NFzQK

Page 26:
power light
The power light illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different operating modes:

• No light — The computer is turned off.
• Steady green — The computer is in a normal operating state.
• Blinking green — The computer is in a power-saving mode.
• Blinking or solid amber — See "Power Problems." (page 291)

To exit from a power-saving mode, press the power button or use the keyboard or the mouse if it is configured as a wake device in the Windows Device Manager. For more information about sleep modes and exiting from a power-saving mode, see "Power
Management."
See "Diagnostic Lights" (page 317) for a description of light codes that can help you troubleshoot problems with your computer

Power Problems Page 291:
IF THE POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING AMBER — The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
• Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
• Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users