Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop usb ports stopped workingI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkchild101

darkchild101

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I am running a laptop (toshiba satellite l30 101)on vista home basic. Out of the blue the usb ports (has 2 in total)stopped working at same time. In the past i did the little trick of switching off and removing battery and power for 30 mins and it worked (to discharge static). This time it hasn't even when i have left it over night

I have went into device manager uninstalled usb roots and rebooted, disabled them, rebooted and enabled them and nothing has worked. Even tried microsoft fixit still nothing. As a last resort i reinstalled the OS and the ports worked for a day then stopped again. When i connect camera it just says usb device not recognised on both ports. Same with the printer and card reader.

Please help, i am desperate :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

There maybe a problem with the side panel board connecting to the motherboard. I suggest taking it to a repair shop for a replacement if there is one available. Some laptops have usb, audio port and ethernet LAN are located on one side and stop working as it could have cause the problem.

Tekken

#3 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is there not a fix i can try. cant afford repair just as student working on my dissetation

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

<<I have went into device manager uninstalled usb roots and rebooted, disabled them, rebooted and enabled them and nothing has worked.>>

Uninstalling roots/hubs...is not the way to proceed. It's the controllers (each one) which must be uninstalled under USB in Device Manager. Then reboot and they automatically reinstall.

I'd try that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users