Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After new MB and re-install xp, "Like to Activate?" then "MS Feeds Synchro has Prob.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrianAlex

BrianAlex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi All. I am attempting my first build. I have a Dell Dimension 4500S that has XP Home.I am using the HDD, and the DVD RW from this Dell and adding a new Mother Board, CPU, Power Source and possibly other stuff (GPU,Case....).

Today I hooked up the board ( ASUS M2N-MX SE) to the DVD Player and the HD etc. and turned it on. It wouldn't boot nornally or "Last best" so I inserted the Install C/D aquired from Dell earlier. I chose "set-up" and "recover" after that. (just starting with "R" recover on fist menu resulted in a request for Admin PW which if I ever knew,is long forgotten (10 year old PC). Anyway It all loaded fine until the green grassy hill pic and prompt to "Activate" I said yes and waited a while and then I get a notice that "Microsoft Feed Synchtonization has encountered a problem" and would I like to send a report. Then after that there is no progress even after 15 minutes.

I should add that the XP on the HD was from the install c/d from Dell (HDD failure and they sent me c/d in mail)

I realize this all may sound pretty dumb but I am not too tech savy and I enjoy a good challenge and I want to get this system up and running again. Much thanks- Brian

Edited by BrianAlex, 17 June 2012 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

<<...I am using the HDD, and the DVD RW from this Dell and adding a new Mother Board, CPU...>>

I would not expect the install to work properly.

You are using a recovery disk which reflects drivers/settings/programs...that relate to a different motherboard and CPU. The change of motherboard and CPU negates the use of any recovery disk, according to my understnading about such disks.

A recovery disk is NOT equivalent to a MS install CD...recovery disks are not developed in a manner that allows install on any system, anytime. They are put together for a certain prefigured system...which you now no longer have major components the install process expects.

On OEM systems, MS construes a change of motherboard as a change of system. The official policy is that MS will not approve activation of such, for obvious reasons, IMO.

Your situation is ccompounded by the fact that you are using disks provided by Dell, rather than using a MS OEM/System Builders/Retail version of XP.

Dell is bound by terms of its agreement with MS...to view the change of motherboard in the same manner...and, even if Dell wanted to, I don't believe they could provide you with recovery disks that could accommodate the equipment changes you have made re the board and CPU.

I could be wrong...but that's the best understanding of your situation that I can give.

FWIW: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110101112932AAJI2Fv AND http://www.motherboardpoint.com/dimension-4500-upgrade-question-t239988.html .

Louis

#3 BrianAlex

BrianAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks Louis, that makes perfect sense. I just checked the c/d and it has a very faint sticker on it that says "For distribution with a new DELL PC only".
Well I was planning to get a 64 bit version and a new HDD anyway. I was just anxious to get some hands-on experience. -BA

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

:thumbsup:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users