Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB scanner - no port?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Howdy! This site helped me a lot a few years back, so I hope there's a solution for this one.

First - computer is running Win XP Home (32 bit). Let me know if you need more info on it.
Here's the issue:

I picked up an old Lexmark p3150 All in One printer, scanner at a garage sale for ten bucks. If I never get it working, I'm not gonna cry about it. I've always wanted a scanner, but I get stuff second hand for cheap or free since I'm kinda poor. Haven't had to buy a computer in over ten years. Anyway, I saw this thing at a garage sale and thought that since my dad is dying and I'd love to have old photos of him and me scanned, it's cheaper than paying Walgreen's. The trouble is, the thing is a USB device, and although the printer part is plug and play, the scanner is not. However, I can't get the software for anything but the drivers, (which I downloaded and installed BEFORE plugging in the machine,) and the scanner part needs the software I can no longer get. The only work around I could find was to use the Windows Camera and Scanner Wizard, but before I can use that, I have to install the scanner hardware from the Control Panel. Trouble is, when installing that, it wants me to pick either the LPT1 port or the COM1 port. Well, this thing is USB! I figured, maybe it does a virtual port for either one of those, so I just picked LPT1 and tried to run it. Nope. No communication. It says, "Waiting for scanner," which it might as well say "Waiting for the Rapture" for all the good it does. If I cancel I get that generic "camera is in use, try again later" box, which doesn't really tell me anything. Then I uninstalled everything and tried reconfiguring it for the COM1 port. Same issue! The Windows Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard does not give an option for using USB. Is there any way I can get the scanner to work without that software I can't get?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi -
Might be a big sorry / hard to help on this one.
Most of these devices come with an install CD and that is often required first.

Do not give up fully yet, as there may be someone here with more help than I can give at this time, and can set it up.
This may be moved to External Hardware section (not an XP problem), but it will remain open for other ideas for you -

Regards -

#3 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thank you. I managed to find another work around. Instead of using the Scanners and Cameras Installation, I used the Install New Hardware wizard instead. It's now working.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

glad you got it, the original software is available at Lexmark site
http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=en&page=product&productCode=LEXMARK_PHOTO_P3150&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&frompage=null#2

#5 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

That is the software I downloaded. It is ONLY the drivers for the printer and scanner, not the software needed to operate the scanner. Hence, the problem, which is now dealt with. Thank you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

FWIW: The only "software" needed to operate any scanner or camera or printer...is the driver.

The other software which manufacturers bundle in with the drivers...is only provided as a "convenience" for the user. An example would be the software which some cameras install for transfer from the camera to the system...not necessary, just another way to get pics off the camera. Printer software normally includes unnecessary update software.

Once the device is properly attached and proper drivers are installed...the device is useable.

Louis

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

found 3 free scan tools with a simple google search ,never tried them[don't have a scanner ] but seem good and usable

http://www.freewarefiles.com/category_3_41.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users