Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot turned off, cannot turn back on or install?!?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 .Griff.

.Griff.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Like a fool I allowed a family member to use my PC against my better judgment this afternoon and now I'm regretting it as all hell has literally broken loose.

Long story short I restarted my PC about an hour ago and when it loaded back into Windows (7 ultimate edition x64) it was instantly clear there was a problem. I won't go through all the details but I noticed Webroot wasn't running anymore and Windows was prompting me to turn it back on. When I went to do so instead of Webroot running I was presented with the Webroot installation window instead. I entered my key (Webroot Secure Anywhere) and I got the following message -

"Webroot could not be installed. This could potentially be caused by malware on the computer. Would you like to try installing with a randomized filename?"

Posted Image

The latter option doesn't work and as a result I cannot get Webroot running again.

I've scanned the PC using Emsisoft Anti-malware which found three suspicious items and deleted them. All subsequent scans come back clean but Webroot still won't start/install.

Any idea what I can try next?

Edited by .Griff., 17 June 2012 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .Griff.

.Griff.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Some further "symptoms" I've come across -

Windows Experience Index has reset itself, i.e there's no score.

My network shares have been reset.

File types are no longer associated.

The hibernation file is back (I'd previously turned it off as I've got an SSD and wanted to save space)

I'm sure there's more I'm yet to spot.

#3 Greg Davis

Greg Davis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi Griff,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team.

Even though the other application reported that there are no infections on your PC, there is still the possibility that an infection is causing the issue. However this can also happen when a previous installation of SecureAnywhere did not get fully removed and the installer thinks the files that were left behind could be symptomatic of an infection.

The easiest way to get this resolved is to Submit a Support Ticket to Webroot After you submit a ticket you will be contacted via email or phone by one of our technicians who will resolve the issue for you and ensure that SecureAnywhere is installed correctly.

Alternatively, you can also call our Technical Support team at 1-866-612-4227 7 Am to 6 PM Mountain Time M - F .

Thanks,

Greg Davis
Webroot Support Team

Like a fool I allowed a family member to use my PC against my better judgment this afternoon and now I'm regretting it as all hell has literally broken loose.

Long story short I restarted my PC about an hour ago and when it loaded back into Windows (7 ultimate edition x64) it was instantly clear there was a problem. I won't go through all the details but I noticed Webroot wasn't running anymore and Windows was prompting me to turn it back on. When I went to do so instead of Webroot running I was presented with the Webroot installation window instead. I entered my key (Webroot Secure Anywhere) and I got the following message -

"Webroot could not be installed. This could potentially be caused by malware on the computer. Would you like to try installing with a randomized filename?"

Posted Image

The latter option doesn't work and as a result I cannot get Webroot running again.

I've scanned the PC using Emsisoft Anti-malware which found three suspicious items and deleted them. All subsequent scans come back clean but Webroot still won't start/install.

Any idea what I can try next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users