Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daughters lap top has a slow always internet conection

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WILD RACING

WILD RACING

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

The computer in question is an IBM Think Pad with windows XP professional and service pack 3

According to the Device manager the modem is IBM Integrated 56K modem.

The problem I have with this one is it constantly has a very slow connection to the Internet. Typically no faster then 11.0 MBpS ad more often then not down to around 1.0 Mbps. Even though connection strength says excellent.

My wife and oldest daughter have Think pads that are virtually identical to this one and they are almost always up around 56Mbps. Same as My Compaq.

I have to suspect that something is slowing it down or there is some other problem with it.

Any Ideas on where I should start to try and bring this one up on par with the rest?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

How old is this laptop? 11mbps max speed sounds like wireless B where the other computers sound like Wireless G (up to 54mbps).

Have you confirmed with a speedtest to a site such as http://www.speedtest.net/ ? What does it record the speeds as on her laptop? What does it report the speed as for the other PCs?

#3 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

It says it XP version 2002 same as the others. Is there another way to date them?

Speed test results on this one

Ping 35ms

Download 1.91 Mbps

Upload 0.80 Mbps.

Had my other daughter do a speed test on hers...

Ping 36 ms

Download 1.96

upload 1.10

Both computers seem to be exactly the same as far as I can tell yet one seems to browse the Internet with ease and shows a connection speed of 54 Mbps while this one is so slow it's frustrating.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

You mentioned a built-in modem. Are you on a dialup connection?

Edited by ddeerrff, 17 June 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

No, It's wireless. Posted Image

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

You mentioned a built-in modem. Are you on a dialup connection?

What ddeerrff is asking: what type of interent connction do you have? (dial up, cable, dsl, etc)

#7 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Cable Sorry Posted Image

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

What is your subscribed connection speed and please run the speedtest as suggested and post the results after.

Tekken

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

What browser is being used on her laptop? Is the whole PC slow, or just the internet part? When it's "slow" does the browser (IE, FF, etc.) completely lock up or does the page just show "loading" for a long time?

#10 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

What is your subscribed connection speed and please run the speedtest as suggested and post the results after.

IF I understand this I think it's 11.0 Mbps. Every other computer shows 54

Speed test results on this one

Ping 35ms

Download 1.91 Mbps

Upload 0.80 Mbps.

What browser is being used on her laptop? Is the whole PC slow, or just the Internet part? When it's "slow" does the browser (IE, FF, etc.) completely lock up or does the page just show "loading" for a long time?

I believe she mostly uses IE but I'm not 100% sure. She may use FF as well. Both are on there.

It seems to just be the Internet part that she complains about LOL. I haven't used it much myself but I'm thinking it's showing loading for a long time.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

IF I understand this I think it's 11.0 Mbps. Every other computer shows 54

Run speedtest on all computers to check on the speed discrepancy and post the result on your next reply.

Tekken

#12 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

These are all Think Pads.

The one I'm posting about is my youngest daughters

Here's the results from the speed tests.....

ping 45ms

Download 1.16 Mbps
Upload .56 Mbps

Here's the results from the other laptops in the house

My oldest daughters..

Ping 26 ms

Download 2.37
up load 1.07

My wife's.....

Ping 33 ms
download 8.03 mbps
Upload 1.09 mbps

Mine my be comparing apples to oranges as it's a Compaq presario but here;s the results from it....

ping 26

Download 8.11
Upload 1.10

All 4 are connected to the same router Via Wifi. When I hold the mouse over the connection Icon in the tool tray all show connection speed of 54.0 Mbps except my youngest daughters which shows only 11.0 Mbps.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Sharing internet connection bandwith and using simultaneously will most likely allocate speed on each connected devices especially on wireless network. I suggest trying the troubled laptop on wired or look for reinstalling for any updated wifi driver and also for the router's firmware.

Tekken

#14 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Sharing internet connection bandwith and using simultaneously will most likely allocate speed on each connected devices especially on wireless network.

It's slow even when it's the only one connected and being used

look for reinstalling for any updated wifi driver .

How do I determine what the WiFi card is so I can figure out which driver to look for/download

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

This should help them help you

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users