Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Problems at Public Wifi Spots

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Windows 7

Yesterday there was a problem at the site www.ddo.com. (It seems that their domain had expired, but I suspect some kind of hack.) Anyone who tried to access it was sent to a "placeholder" site instead.

Late yesterday, DDO posted these tweets:

- The recent issues with http://DDO.com and related services have now been resolved, and we thank you for your patience!
- Please note that some cases you may need to wait for your Internet Service Provider to update its DNS data, if you are still having issues.
- If you still have issues, please reboot & clear your browser cache. If necessary flush your DNS or wait for your ISP to do it automatically.

I've been using my laptop at a variety of wifi spots all day yesterday, and I've been trying all that, but have been getting very mixed results. At Starbucks and one McDonald's, I was able to connect, but at another McDonald's I connected once, then later could not. At the public library I could not connect, although the librarian could connect using her wired connection.

Here's another clue: at the places I could not connect, my wife's iPad and Kindle Fire (Android) also got directed to the wrong page. I'm pretty sure that those tablets had never visited ddo.com in the past, so I doubt that they were in a browser cache or anything like that.

My questions:

1. I've read about OpenDNS and Google Plus DNS. Is that something that might help me?
2. Is there anything else I should try? (Don't say "stay at Starbucks". They close early.)
3. Will the problem "go away" after all the ISPs in the world update their DNS info? How long should that take?

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2012 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

3. Will the problem "go away" after all the ISPs in the world update their DNS info? How long should that take?

Basically. It'll be best to just wait this out. You can change your laptop's DNS server and then run a ipconfig /flushdns command to bypass any hotspot DNS servers. However, it's possible that this could interfere with public wifi points that require you to accept terms or login via user/pass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users