Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to remove the Java plug-in from the control panel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I tried to delete Java 1.4.2 from the add/remove in control panel on my windows XP with IE 8.0. It did not work. I finally deleted it from the registry and it is now gone from the add/remove. My other problem is the Java Plug-in control panel which is in the control panel (steaming cup of coffee) is still in the control panel. I have followed Java's help to a T to delete it from the registry. It is deleted from the registry as when I double click on the Java Cup of coffee in control panel it give the registry key where it should be but says it cannot find the Java plug-in. It is supposed to be in this key: Hkey_local_machine\software\javasoft\java plug-in\1.4.2. I am trying to get rid of the icon of the steaming hot cup of coffee in the control panel but I cannot do it. I have done searches in the search function. I have even physically checked through everything in the C:\windows\system32 folder but I am unable to find this file or what ever it is called. Does anyone have any other ideas how I can get rid of it? I did a complete restore of my system earlier. In checking various websites I see where others have complained of this very same thing after doing a restore. I never could find a solution though. I have been in and out of the registry so many times, deleting things, I am getting nervous doing it. I am assuming that this Java may have came when I purchased this machine as I would not have downloaded this old of a version. This Gateway machine is about 7 1/2 years old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Check for JAVA entry here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ControlPanel \ NameSpace

You should have entries similar to this

{4299124F-F2C3-41b4-9C73-9236B2AD0E8F}

Check for each entries and find out the one which points to JAVA

Delete it,restart the PC

Make sure to back up this key before deleting entries

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ControlPanel

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 17 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

narenxp. I checked the registry keys you mentioned and there were not any of these registry keys that referred to Java. I am about ready to give up on it. Thank you anyway.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Download

system look

Launch it and copy this script and paste in the search BOX

:reg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace /s
:regfind
{4299124F-F2C3-41b4-9C73-9236B2AD0E8F}
Click on LOOK,post the generated log

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

narenxp, when I click on the "Java Plug-in Control Panel" icon in the control panel window it says that it cannot find the registry key specified. It is the java Icon in the control panel that I want to remove. It gives this path: Hkey_Local_Machine\software\JavaSoft\Java\Java Plug-in\1.4.2. This indicates to me that the registry key has already been removed from the registry. I did exactly what Java help told me to do in removing the Java Plug-in Control Panel from the registry. I have searched the registry for java 1.4.2, oracle and Sun but I cannot find anything else associated with Java so I think the registry is clear of all Java entries. I believe this Java Control panel Icon may be located some where else. On one website I noticed where one person having a similiar problem I was having said they had found the Java Plug-in Control Panel in the C:\windows\system32 folder. I checked through all that folder and could not find it. I am very hesitant in removing anymore from the registry. I am satisfied all the registry keys associated with Java has been removed. I have done several search through the window search function to no avail. Can you think of another area where it could possibly be? I supposed this is no big deal as my computer is humming alog just fine. I hate to have something on my computer that is not any longer in use. Thank you anyway.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Go to

C:\windows\system32 folder

Delete all these files

javacpl.cpl
java.exe
javaw.exe
javaws.exe

check your control panel now

If that doesnt work

You can also use this tool to remove java

javara

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 18 June 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

narenxp, I was finally able to remove this unwanted Java Plug-in Control Panel Icon from my control panel. This is the way I had to do it. I went to the search function and typed in *.cpl in the "all or part of the file name" in the top line. I then clicked on the double down arrow at the "More advanced options" to make sure that "search system folders", "Search hidden files" and "Search subfolders " were all checked. After I did this I notice a file by the name of jpicpl32.cpl was listed in this list of files. When I right clicked on jpicpl32.cpl and then selected properties, I reckonized it as the file I wanting to remove. I right clicked on this file and deleted it. When I checked back in the control panel "Bingo" it was gone. Thanks for all your help and sticking in there with me. I deleted it at 10:30 AM today 06202012. This one about drove me nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users