Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EskimoBob

EskimoBob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

First time poster, so I will do what I can to follow the guidelines. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Problem: Two days ago I noticed that my sound began to sound really bad and was getting softer. At first I thought it was my speakers, so I put in a set of headphones. Same problem. I then put in a diffrent set, still bad. I then took out all sound equipment and tryed my on board (I have a laptop) speakers give it a go, thinking it could be just the outbound speaker connection. All this to no avail. It sounded as though my sound was coming from underwater it was muffled and staticy.

The following day the sound stopped working all together.

What I have tryed: The computer is not muted. I have checked all options on my comp for sound, from advanced ones, to the basic ones. I have tryed troubleshooting but that has come up with no avail (it was saying something abotu bios but I didn't want to tamper with them).

I have the feeling that my sound card has stopped working, but I wanted to come to you guys before i took any drastic measures.

I am running a Dell laptop with windows XP professional. Its about 1 1/2 years old. The soundcard is on board. If you need any other specs I would be more then happy to accomidate. Thank you in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

you may wanna check your device manager to see if they can detect and tell you the working status of your sound card.

The worst case scenario would be to change the sound card....to a better ones. :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Hard to change the sound card in a laptop - it is probably integrated on the main board.

Try updating the sound drivers.

Go to the control panel, click on system, then on hardware, then on device manager, open the trees that address sound and see if there are any yellow or red warnings.

If there are, delete all of the devices that have the warning marks, click ok to get oout of the device manager and reboot allowing Windows to find and reinstall the devices you deleted.

If there were no warning marks, click on properties for all the devices connected with sounds and update the drivers where appropriate.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 March 2006 - 11:14 PM.

#4 EskimoBob

EskimoBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:20 AM

I tryed to update all devices, but it said that they were all up to date... Also, none of them have a Red X or a yellow ! so it looks like I am sol... Time to send this bad boy in and see if they can do anything.. Thanks for your help.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

I would still delete them and let Windows find them and reinstall them.

A driver can become corrupted even if it is up to date.

By the way, did you set it to go to Windows Update to update them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users