Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Eavesdroppers and Unsecured Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MGR123

MGR123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'm living in a house share and recently some people moved in.

One weak later, when I was using my computer I was trying to login to my mail. Whenever I went to a gmail, yahoo mail and hotmail I would get the warning Unsecured Internet Connection, check certicate in the browser. This went on for the first hour I tried it. I know when you use a program like Wireshark or Cain/Abel that screen shows up. I do not know what is happening and I am utterly pissed. I did not think these people were IT pro. It's neither of their occupations. I am a professional IT guy so I know about it. Is Wireshark and Cain and Abel like programs well known?

Now, the thing is, at the time I was using my computer in safe mode. So is there any reason to think that safe mode would cause the browser to show warning (Unsecured Connection) when you visit https sites ?

Also, I cheked the router admin, they were connected when it happenned. However I saw them disconnect from the router, and the same thing still continued to happen. However, half an hour later, it would visit the https sites without warning.

My question is, if a packet sniffer (Wireshark type program) was being run on the network by a Computer A, and then they close their computer, would the "Warning Page" immediately stop appearing, or could it still be affecting it somehow, even though the packet sniffer is not operating and take time to wear off (so to speak) or once I restart my browser etc...

I am going nuts with this, I would really appreciate your help.

I basically want to know if the tenants did something or not. So basically,

A- would a warning page immediately stop appearing upon closing down the packet sniffer?

or...

B- it would take a few minutes to pass (from the when the packet sniffer was closed) for the warning page not to appear?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

That certificate warning has nothing to do with wireshark. Your computer needs to be checked for a virus or corrupted Windows permissions or files . When you visit a secure website, one that generally has a logon processev. it Will present its security certificate to your operating system. The OS compares the Certificate with one In its database. The certificate warning appears when they don't match. Why they don't match could be 1. The certificate is in deed expired. 2. The time and date on your computer is wrong. 3. The user account you are logged in with does not have permission to access the certificate file. 4. The certificate file is corrupted. Make sure no one has turned on parental controls on your account making your user the child. Your first clue would be Windows not allowing you to write files/folders.the c:\ directory Install any missing windows updates Run Malwarebytes Antimalware, Sophos anti virus, and TdsKiller.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 June 2012 - 01:43 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

If the certificate States its from an "unknown source" Reset your Host file. Follow the Microsoft Fix it

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users