Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home - Networking notworking - damaged by rootkit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skivenov

Skivenov

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi

Apologies for diving straight in with a question but my internet access is a bit limitted at the minute, and I couldn't find an answer on a quick read round.

My computer's an old Dell running XP Home. It ended up well and truely virussed up, various trojans and a rootkit infection. I've cleaned it with a few tools I downloaded off here, but it looks like although I've cleared the infections, my networking's been left messed up and it won't connect to the net. The connection status is showing it as not properly connected, and it thinks it's sending packets but not getting anything back, so I'm guessing the TCP/IP stack's got a chunk out of it?

I haven't got my install discs to hand, so I can't do SFC / scannow, or any other variety of fried chicken for that matter :)

Does anyone know any good tools for repairing the networking?

Much appreciated.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

What model Dell?

Have you thought of contacting Dell for replacement disks?

Louis

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

Download

FSS

Checkmark all the boxes

Click on "Scan".
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

#4 Skivenov

Skivenov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Sorry fopr the delay getting back to you. I'll run FSS and report back.

I've got my restore discs, but they're 100 miles away at the minute, so I'm trying to avoid that. That and I haven't got my office CD with me, and I'm lost without that.

Thanks for the help so far :)

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users